3.24.2014

it’s always encouraging to be told that it is intellectually acceptable to read the sorts of things that you like to read anyway

  1. Have you ever pretended to read a book to impress someone?
    that's what undergrad was all about, eh? I notoriously didn't get through Hamlet until I was in grad school--though by then I'd seen several versions of the film, which was of course 'cheating'.
  2. Have you ever pretended not to read a book in order to avoid embarrassment?
    I'm not sure if I'd phrase it that way, but, yeah, probably. There are things that I won't bring up because I know it's not going to go well. But it's not as if that sort of thing is limited to reading choices--I choose not to talk with all sorts of people about all sorts of things, for all sorts of reasons.
  3. What's your worst reading habit?
    I read rather than "getting things done" pretty often.
  4. What book are you most proud of having read?
    there's a very short book, almost a pamphlet, called The Majesty of Calmness, which was written in 1900 by an essayist named William George Jordan. Look into it....
  5. Do you buy most of your books new, second-hand, electronically or borrow via the library?
    it's a good mix of all those. I buy a lot of books, because I support authors in whose careers I believe strongly. I buy second-hand those books that I wish to own that are out of print, or when I want to give something as a gift and that's the only way it's available. I generally have a book or two (or more) going on my e-reader at all times, just like I have one or two on the side table, too. I borrow regularly from the usual sources, whether in print or electronically.
  6. Have you ever pretended to watch a film to impress someone?
    I've seen a few movies because I thought that I was 'supposed to.' Some of them turned out to be worthwhile, and some were a complete waste of time--just like everything else in life. I don't blame the 'supposed to'-ness for that. It would be more appropriate to blame myself for getting into that position, right?
  7. Have you ever pretended not to have watched a film in order to avoid embarrassment?
    as above, it would be more appropriate to blame myself for being in that role, rather than pretending not to have watched the movie itself. But I don't recall ever having done that, no.
  8. What movie have you watched the most?
    Top Secret!, maybe? Or Manhunter?
  9. What film do you tell people is your favorite ever?
    Trust and The Professional (Léon).
  10. What film is actually your favorite ever?
    either of those. Both of those. Why lie?
  11. What time do you usually wake up and get up in the mornings?
    7:23 is when the alarm wakes me on a work day. I'm up for real by 8:03. Left to my own devices, on a schedule entirely of my own making, in a world of no physical retribution for "sleeping too late" or any of that bullshit, I would wake around 11:AM or noon, and go to bed at 1 or 2:AM.
  12. Do you wake naturally or does something/someone wake you up?
    as it stands, I wake to an alarm on work days and naturally on weekends
  13. How many snooze alarms do you need?
    no snooze
  14. What’s your routine on a workday/work at home morning?
    it's complicated. Alarm. Get up. (Bathrobe.) Eat breakfast. Go back to bed for ~20 minutes. Alarm. Get up. Get dressed (in work clothes). Hair/makeup/whatever. Make lunch. Go to work.
  15. What’s your routine on a non-workday morning?
    no routine. Get up whenever, put on lounging clothes. Eat breakfast or make scones. Read. Drink lots of tea. Adore and be adored by the cat. Ease into the day.

[from The Cat, who got it here; the title quotation is by Margaret Atwood, from In Other Worlds]

No comments:

Post a Comment