- Where would you retire to?
in the unreal world where I give myself leave to consider such things, I would currently consider retiring to Maine, Miami, Seattle (you had to know that I've thought about it, right?), or Minnesota
- What are your best physical features?
strong shoulders, soft-looking skin, and two of the best feet ever
- What are your best characteristics?
I am, according to the window: complex, intelligent, witty, observant, and knowledgeable.
- What kind of books do you like to read?
character-based fiction that is described as either 'literary' or 'quirky'. More "straight-up" fiction than genre, though I read a lot of series genre for work. I am expanding into more mystery and fantasy, though, and a little bit of current-day science fiction. And nonfiction that is at least moderately narrative. And poetry, of which I tend to appreciate the less modern or experimental.
- What are you reading now?
Canadian fiction by Ray Robertson called Moody Food. And the highly critically acclaimed China Miéville fantasy novel Perdido Street Station, which I'd previously started and stopped when life got in the way.
- [The original question in this space was either inapplicable to my life or unrepentantly stupid, so I'm declaring it a free space.]
I'm writing this using my 'biggest' birthday present, which is a new (to me) computer. My friends' generosity--and ability to read my mind--boggles me.
- What is your favorite time of the day?
about 2:AM, when it's finally quiet
- Where did you grow up?
in a 3-bedroom house close to the top of a limestone hill, seven miles outside a small city in one of the 10 largest states in the nation (as ranked by water area). Not quite that high a ranking by population, alas.
- How far away from your birthplace do you live now?
- Are you a morning person or a night owl?
more night, more better
- What inspires you?
besides dark, quiet, stillness, solitude, and alone time? Good friends, poetry, photography. Music. Rain. Dreams.
- Can you close your eyes and raise your eyebrows?
- Do you have pets?
we pretend sometimes, but no--they're not mine
- How many rings before you answer the phone?
if I'm going to answer it, I'll just answer it. I very rarely do that, but it happens occasionally.
- What are some of the different jobs that you have had in your life?
clerk, baker, cake decorator. Office assistant. Office manager. Graduate assistant (times three or so. Transcriber.
- Any new and exciting things that you would like to share?
there are things, but nothing that's quite shareable yet
- What is most important in life?
not buying into fallacies like "most important", maybe? No demeaning bullshit like "everything in moderation," but something more realistic than the idea that "love conquers all" or "it's all about family" or "he with the most toys wins."
- Did you dream last night?
something very deranged, about goldfish and medieval battles. I think there's a fever afoot.
- Do you remember your dreams?
more often than not, I will recall something. Sometimes just bits and pieces, and sometimes the entire narrative, as if the story has been laid before me, plainly, so that I will be able to retell it.
[from the typical fount, who got it here; the title quotation is by William Cullen Bryant]