6.10.2015

the inclination to believe in the fantastic may strike some as a failure in logic, or gullibility, but it’s really a gift

  • Do you believe in the Loch Ness Monster? I do, actually. Maybe not in the "Nessie" form that's part of folklore, but in the greater sense that there are probably all sorts of critters (mostly small, but maybe large) that we've not yet formally "discovered."
  • Do you believe the Governments hide technology and information from the public? sure. I think that all sorts of stuff happens "for the greater good" and I'm fine with it. We screw up enough that we think we have a handle on--best not test that with the stuff ordinary people can't grasp.

    (I know the Libertarians among you are at least cringing, if not sharpening your weapons. In this case: spare me. It will devolve quickly and there are more vital issues about which to argue, yes?)
  • Can you do ten revolutions of a hula hoop? the last time I tried was at a wedding in ~2002, and I did fine. It's probably like riding a bike?
  • Do you think Great Britain should be part of a United Europe? [I do love this quiz. So charmingly British.]

    That's fine with me. Why not?
  • Were you part of the Brownies/Cubs/Scouts/Guides, etc.? I was a Brownie for one meeting. It was disturbing to me on some elemental level that I later understood to be what bothers me about pretty much anything 'organized' like that.
  • Do you like marzipan? I do, until I've had enough, and then I don't like it at all for a very long time. That taste is quite distinctive.
  • Can you erect a tent? among the best questions ever! I've not had occasion to do so for many years, but there was no trouble at that time. I'm sort of logical and handy that way.

[copied from here and cut into absorbable pieces; the title quotation is by Chris Von Allsburg, and reads in its entirety:

The inclination to believe in the fantastic may strike some as a failure in logic, or gullibility, but it’s really a gift. A world that might have Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster is clearly superior to one that definitely does not.]

2 comments: