11.23.2018

a celebrity is a person who works hard all his life to become well known, then wears dark glasses to avoid being recognized

  1. What’s been the best day of your life so far and why? there was a day one April, when the air was rife with possibility, every look and touch was filled with promise, and love was the point of everything
  2. Describe your first kiss, who was it with, what was it like, where was it, etc.? it was after an orchestra concert in junior high. He was a cellist, and I had a crush. We were both wearing gray, I know, which is weird but not weird. After the concert we walked through the school, talked nervously, held hands, and surreptitiously searched for a good spot to do what we were dyin' to do. It was an old building, constructed in 1915, with twisting hallways and ramps. There were probably a hundred excellent hidden spots for someone with experience, but for too-young kids who are too eager for some privacy, a quiet spot isn't quite enough. We ended up outside, on a sidewalk between the rear of the school and the public library.
    I don't remember the specifics of what we said, or how it happened. Just that one minute we were walking and talking, and the next, I was having that first kiss. He wasn't my boyfriend, we weren't in a long term relationship, and it wasn't a particularly great kiss.
  3. What’s your biggest regret? What’s something from your past you wished you could have changed? I would have saved that first kiss for someone who was worthy of it. Just like other firsts.
  4. When was the last time you laughed so hard that tears fell from your face and what was it at? I don't know. It's been a while. I find things funny, but I'm not a big laugher. Novembers are tough since Chris died, and the lead-up isn't great either. Instead, I look at it this way: every fall day that I'm not crying is a really, really good day.
  5. What is the craziest thing that you have ever done? there are a few: driving to the airport to pick up a guy who'd flown across the country to meet me; leaving the job I'd had for more than a decade, where I made surprisingly good money, to take a new position in a new field about which I knew almost nothing; or committing to buying a house that won't likely be paid off until I'm at retirement age
  6. What’s the most embarrassing thing that’s ever happened to you? I'm not wild about Animal Brain Lawyer's dodge of my kiss at the diner
  7. Do you have any scars--and if so, how did you get them? I have dozens of scars. My childhood was active, and my twenties were wild. The best (and probably most noticeable) are from a poker injury.
  8. Where would you like to be in 10 years? never answering this stupid, foolish, pointless question again
  9. What are your views on drugs and alcohol? I like them very much, thank you
  10. What are your views on religion? 45 degrees
  11. Have you ever thought about ending your own life? If so, why? wow, do people really answer that question in a blog meme?
  12. Write 5 facts people might not know about you.
    1. I own three pairs of red shoes, and am struggling with the urge to buy a couple more.
    2. I'm missing four extra teeth (besides my wisdom teeth).
    3. I don't drink nearly as much as I used to, or as much as people think I do.
    4. In a couple of months, my physical appearance will change dramatically.
    5. I have redeveloped a love for jigsaw puzzles that I had when I was a child.
  13. What’s your zodiac sign and do you think it fits your personality? I was born a Virgo, though I had been due a Leo. I have some Virgo characteristics but maybe more Leo, and definitely more as I get older.
  14. Pinpoint a moment you felt the most satisfied with your life. satisfaction is fleeting. Don't get attached to the plan.
  15. Discuss your first love. I had a bunch of crushes and a couple of boyfriends before, but my first love was Brian, the Army guy. We were freshmen in college, though he was a couple of years older than me (having served in the military before starting school). We were friends-of-friends, and had overlapping majors (we took a lot of the same classes but for different reasons). I spent half a year "coincidentally" appearing where he "happened" to be, all over campus--and he was happy to notice. We started dating at the end of spring term at a party that was thrown specifically to push us together. Though enormously busy, we both did whatever we could do to sort out our schedules so we could spend time together. We went to house parties and bars, movies and picnics. We spent lots of time at his apartment and my rented house.
    And then my best friend from high school sat me down and told me that one of the other waitresses from the steakhouse had been telling her about her fiancé, Brian...and it was clear that her guy and my guy were one and the same. For what it was worth, my friend shared the information with me and not the other girl. I stopped seeing him, didn't take his calls, and wouldn't talk about it--until he finally tracked me down by phone at my parents' house. I finally closed him down. It broke my heart.
    You never forget your first, right? Love, and betrayal.
  16. Put your iPod on shuffle and write 10 songs that pop up. Explain why each song is on there.
    1. Radiohead, "The Bends"--"Where are you now when I need you?"
    2. Thompson Square, "Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not?"--"It was the best dang kiss that I ever had, except for that long one after that"
    3. The Sheepdogs, "Tonight"--"If I could walk one minute with you, well then I'd be all right"
    4. Maroon 5, "Miss you Love you"--"Make no mistake, your love's not real, 'cause the love that I've got is deeper, so much deeper than you could ever feel"
    5. Joshua Radin, "Star Mile"--"You had and lost the one thing You kept in a safe place"
    6. James, "Curse Curse"--"Praise the lord and kiss me on the mouth"
    7. Elbow, "Not a Job"--"You have to give yourself a break"
    8. Dave Matthews Band, "Belly Full"--"There is no place I'd rather be than here with you, under the sun, the pouring rain, all the sky for you"
    9. Dala, "Butterfly to Wasp"--"I would love so much to miss you"
    10. Josh Ritter, "Right Moves"--"how is it that you come back to me?"
  17. Name somewhere you’d like to move or visit. Eastern Canada
  18. What’s your earliest memory? visiting my grandparents, west of here. It's an amalgamation of many holidays and other visits--family meals, games, conversation, laughter. Walks in the hills, flower gathering, playing with the dogs. Figuring out where I came from, all as a part of learning where I was going.
  19. What are your views on mainstream music? as indicated above (in #16), some of it is good. But most of my musical interest lies elsewhere.
  20. What are your highs and lows of this past year? lows are personal, emotional and physical. And so are the highs.
  21. What are your strongest beliefs? love, loyalty, and defeat
  22. Who are you closest to in your family? parents and brother
  23. How important do you think education is? education is invaluable. Degrees are often a useless waste of money and time, but that education--the actual learning--is absolutely worth it.
  24. What’s one of your favorite shows? I'm plowing my way through CSI on DVD (currently season 12).
  25. How have you changed in the past 2 years? I'm older, sleeping better, and don't have tonsils.
  26. Name 5 people who are famous who you find attractive. eh--ain't no saint without a past, ain't no sinner without a future.
  27. Name your favorite movie and what it’s about. it's a little indie film called Trust. It's about men and women, grenades, middle class America, communication and miscommunication, and the elements of trust.
  28. Who is someone who fascinates you and why? I'm having a hard time answering this question, because while I know some fascinating people, they are private and wouldn't want their details shared in this forum. There isn't much allure for me in celebrities or other famous sorts, either.
  29. What kind of person attracts you? intelligent, challenging, complicated, funny, difficult, charming, troubling
  30. What’s a problem that you have recently had or are currently having? cold toes
  31. Name something that you miss. just this afternoon, I was telling a new friend about Sorrento's Ranch--one of my favorite spots in the flatland
  32. Share 5 goals you want completed in the next 30 days.
    1. Complete all holiday shopping
    2. Wrap holiday presents & mail as needed
    3. Write out & send all holiday cards
    4. Work out at least 3 of every 6 days
    5. try to sort out the employment thing
  33. What’s been the highlight of your month and the lowest point? highlight? That would be having a much-needed conversation (in two parts). Not an easy talk, and not yet "over," but a good start. It can be incredibly hard to talk, sometimes, but there may be nothing more important. And the lowest point: the anniversary of Chris' death. It is, and may always be, the saddest day of the year.
  34. What’s something that you’ve done in the past that you would never do again? suffered through an unhappy relationship because I was convinced that it was better than being alone
  35. What is your biggest insecurity & why? my left knee is sometimes a little weak
  36. What were the last 3 songs you listened to and what did they mean to you? Purple Rain is playing in the car this week. I think "Purple Rain" was the last song that I heard on the way home, so the last three songs were that, "I Would Die 4 U" and "Baby I'm a Star." None of the three has any particular meaning for me.
  37. Do you have a toy that’s really special to you--and if so, what is it, how did you get it, etc.? while we were dating, my first prom date gave me two wind-up toys, little round guys that were just heads with feet. I gave one to Chris for his birthday the year that I couldn't leave for Christmas because of the ice storm (2008?). That little toy is a bittersweet keepsake. 
  38. Have you lost anyone close to you to death? uh, yeah
  39. What is your purpose in life? good question, eh? Is it truth? Is it love? Or maybe it's questions.
  40. When was the last time you cried, and what was it over? about a week ago, I was choked up enough that I could not speak. It was "over" assumptions and fear.
  41. If you got to spend an entire day with your favourite celebrity what would you guys do? I'm really uninterested in celebrity. The closest that I'd like to get to that is my friend who is PT/coach to a couple of up-and-comers on the tennis tour. 
  42. If you could only listen to one artist for the rest of your life, who would you choose and why? couldn't do it. No way.
  43. What are 3 traits that you like about yourself and what are three that you dislike about yourself? Personality wise. Like: loyalty, curiosity, and tenacity. Dislike: tenacity, curiosity, and focus
  44. Can you cook? If so, what are your favorite dishes to make? yes, I can cook. This weekend, I'm making lasagna for a couple of friends. I've been trying to work out an opportunity to make D's Chicken & Noodles dish for another couple of friends. I also like making a Puerto Rican dish. But I'm mostly a baker, not a cook.
  45. What was the last decision you regretted making? not gonna play that game. The decisions I've made may have led to unexpected outcomes, but that is how life works. There are no guarantees, so prehaps I could go back and make a different decision--but what would that decision bring about? It boggles the mind, and is pointless speculation anyway. 
  46. Whose opinion of yourself do you value the most? oh good grief...
  47. What’s the nastiest thing you’ve ever said to another human being, and what drove you to say it? I think I said some pretty awful things to Brian the Army Guy's fiancée, when we had classes together (after the drama exploded over us all). I still cannot believe that she blamed me--who'd known nothing of her, had no reason to know that I had done anything wrong--rather than him. She forgave him and treated me wretchedly. I guess that's what you do in order to go on with your life. And so, being 18 years old and blown out of the water, I retaliated as good as I got.
  48. What’s the nastiest thing anyone has ever said to you? Or something that’s hurt you above anything else, and why? the above, the lovely Renee, or maybe Nick's fantastic pronouncement that he'd rather be with anybody else--seriously, anybody. Anybody in the world.--rather than me.
  49. You can ask your favourite celebrity 3 questions and s/he’s taken a magical truth pill so s/he will 100% answer honestly, what do you ask? once again, I would skip the celebrity. I would ask someone very dear to me these three questions.
    1. What do you wish for?
    2. What do you want to say to me that you've never said?
    3. You know I love you, don't you?
  50. What mark would you want to leave on this world after you are gone? see right... 
  51. What makes you most angry? being undermined
  52. Who do you think is a really underrated celebrity and what do you love about them? feh
  53. What are the main qualities you look for when thinking about a significant other? I don't think about "significant other" like an acquisition, where I write a shopping list and set out to locate the item
  54. What’s the most romantic thing anyone has ever done for you? seeking my eye from across a crowded room
  55. What is one of your favorite memories? seeing Florida for the first time, looking out the window as the plane came in for a landing, and feeling like I was coming home. It was an extraordinary sensation, completely unexpected and enormously gratifying. I loved being there, feeling swept up in the warm, the beautiful, and the different from home.
  56. What do you do when you really want to impress someone? depends on who I've targeted. It would hardly do to impress a colleague with my ability to open a beer can with my teeth, right?
  57. What are your 3 favourite animals and why? Rupert, Elly, and Maggie. Maggie because she takes no crap. Elly because she looks like a big scary beast but is actually a sweet puffball of a pooch. And Rupert because he's my soulmate in kitty clothing.
  58. What’s the nicest present you’ve ever received? an article torn from a magazine, with a sticky note. Or a long, fierce hug. 
  59. People always go around saying ‘oh, I’m their biggest fan’, but what does being a truly big fan of someone mean to you? again with the celebrity business. I think I was done with that about 3 decades ago.
  60. Have you ever wanted to change anything about your life? If so, what? this is either the easiest or hardest thing to answer. Yes, there's tons to change about life. If everything is perfect, then what's the point of getting up in the morning? Where's the challenge? I cannot imagine anything more boring.
  61. What is something you feel like you are really good at? I'm really good at replying to messages *(if I like you)
  62. What are your top 5 favourite all time songs by your favourite artist? I think I've explained recently that my iTunes (and all my photos) were on a drive that kind of blew up. So I can't exactly access anything at the moment. I've got a tiny subset of music on my phone but it's nowhere near the usual mix. Anyway, my favorite artist at the moment is probably Elbow--I've been playing more of their stuff than anyone--and off the top of my head, I particularly like "Switching Off", "Grace Under Pressure", "One Day Like This", "With Love", "My Sad Captains", and "Head for Supplies". There are others.
  63. What are your top 5 favourite all time videos by your favourite artist? I'm not a music video person. The videos are just a vehicle to get the lyrics to me.
  64. If you were given $3,000,000 to put towards 3 charities/foundations ($1 mil each obviously), what would you choose and why? I'd probably just go to a couple of public libraries (the current one and the last one) and maybe a group that helps pay medical bills for people who can't afford care. Public libraries are chronically under-funded and very, very relevant. (Spend some time there and you'll see. Trust me on this!) And the medical care ought to go without saying.
  65. What’s one thing someone has done for you that was really small but made a huge impact? someone with whom I used to work lent me money to pay for gas to come back here when I was homesick and broke. She died a couple of years ago, and the memory of those small kindnesses (there were many more) was a comfort and more sadness.
  66. What do you do when you can’t sleep? I don't know. I suppose I just lie there and try to stop thinking?
  67. What’s something that’s on your bucket list? I hate that phrase. But I'd really like to visit all the tiny countries, the little principalities and nations in Europe. Malta, Lichtenstein, Andorra, Monaco, and so forth. I think that would be an amazing way to spend some time.
  68. If you could change 3 things within your government, what would they be and why? definitely not going there
  69. What’s your favourite holiday and why? they're all pretty good, right?
  70. What’s the kindest thing a stranger has ever done for you? Even if it’s tiny, like holding a door open for you, something that you remember even though they were a complete stranger. on one of my first commercial flights, which ran through thunderstorms all the way from Chicago to Baltimore, my seatmate knew I was scared and very patiently explained to me what was happening so that I wouldn't panic. That stranger made the difference between suffering through travel and becoming a good flier.  
  71. Who’s your favorite cartoon character? Opus 
  72. What’s the first song that comes to your mind while reading this and why? "If Ever I Could Love" by Keith Urban
  73. Put the 7 deadly sins in order of the one you commit the most to the least. sloth, lust, greed, envy, wrath, gluttony, pride. Subject to change without notice.
  74. What would you like to be the first dance song at your wedding? ask me when it's a remote possibility
  75. Have you ever been told you look like a famous person, if so, who? Drew Barrymore + Helen Hunt + Susan Sarrandon
  76. What’s one thing you can not live without? quiet
  77. What is the most selfless thing you have ever done for someone? step back
  78. What are 3 things that have happened in your life that you’ve never forgotten? Big or small, just things you know you won’t ever forget and still seem crystal clear now. this question is impossible to answer. My memory is notorious (sometimes too strong, really), so to pick out only three things would be silly.
  79. What comes first to you out of friendships and relationships, and why? I don't know what this even means. What do I get out of relationships? Or what do I put into them? Not sure where to go here. 
  80. What’s your favourite children’s TV show/movie? I like the annual holiday things, and Up, and the Despicable Me franchise.
  81. What song makes you cry the most? Bonnie Raitt, "I Can't Make You Love Me"
  82. What’s the funniest film you’ve ever seen? Top Secret!
  83. What’s something crazy that you’ve always wanted to do? I'd like to take a spur of the moment trip--for the right (albeit crazy) reasons
  84. Has anything ever happened to you that you just can’t forgive? yes, plenty. There are some relationships that I simply cannot push through any longer, however much I appreciate what's happened in the past.
  85. What’s your biggest fear? good question
  86. What is your favorite food? poufy Cheetos
  87. Least favorite food? Why? I'm pretty sure that adults don't need to worry about "least favorite foods"
  88. Have you ever felt ashamed about something? If so, what was it & why? yes, of course. Shame, guilt, regret, fear, anguish...all of those experiences are part of every adult life. 
  89. Do you keep a journal? If so, what mostly goes in it? Random thoughts, feelings, stories? I have kept a journal with regularity for about the same time that I've kept this blog. It is mostly a retelling of my life, a sorting out of feelings, contemplating what I could have or should have done instead. What I wish I had or was or could be.
  90. When was the last time you said something nice to someone, & what made you do it? Tuesday, maybe? I did it because I had to, because it wouldn't stay in any longer, and because if I hadn't said it, I would have cried (and I couldn't cry just then). It was the right thing to do and say.
  91. What’s the saddest story/one that’s touched you the most that you’ve ever heard on the news? this is one of the reasons that I don't have network TV service anymore
  92. If you were told you were going to have 3 daughters, what would you want to name them? that's not going to happen
  93. Do you have a middle name--and if so, what is it? for security reasons, that information is classified
  94. How did your name get chosen? What’s the story behind it? my parents sought names for their children that were short, and hadn't already been used for any of my other cousins. No story, just some luck really.
  95. Are you a virgin? I'm not sure there's even an emoji for the face I'm making right now...
  96. What are the stories behind your tattoos/piercings and if you don’t have any, would you like any? would I like stories, or tattoos/piercings? Sometimes they just are what they are.
  97. Do you have siblings? If so, what are their names and how old are they? I have a brother, and he's pretty great. That's as far as I'm willing to go here. 
[from here, and answered over several days; the title quotation is by Fred Allen, from Much Ado about Me]

No comments:

Post a Comment