6.11.2019

never marry someone who doesn’t love the movies you love. Sooner or later, that person will not love you

I've recommitted--again--to watching what I eat and getting more and better exercise. In that vein, I have been and will be seeing lots more movies. My habit is to head to the basement for an hour on the treadmill and however much longer a movie lasts, on the indoor bike. If there are special features (gag reel, etc.) that I want to see, then I do some weights. The proportions may shift around, but I think I'll be seeing a whole lot of movies over the next few months. Here's my last week's viewing.

Empire of the Wolves
story: 2/5
acting: 3/5--standout: the late Jocelyn Quivrin (Paul Nerteaux)
visuals: 4/5
intangibles: 4/5--Jean Reno's presence; antihero; spiral-staircase-in-a-crypt scene
overall: 3.25/5 Would watch again.

Pain and Gain
story: 2/5
acting: 3/5--standouts: Ed Harris (Ed DuBois) and Rebel Wilson (Robin Peck)
visuals: 3/5
intangibles: 4/5--Dwayne Johnson's presence; Miami; the complete ridiculousness
overall: 3/5 May watch again.

The Girl from Monday
story: 2/5
acting: 2/5
visuals: 2/5
intangibles: 3/5--Hal Hartley's bizarre sensibilities; beautiful and profoundly wordy dialogue; what works really works
overall: 2.25/5 Would watch again only if doing a whole Hal Harley film festival.

Heartbreak Ridge
story: 5/5
acting: 5/5--standouts: Arlen Dean Snyder (Sergeant Major Choozoo) and Peter Koch (Swede)
visuals: 5/5
intangibles: 5/5--Clint. Setting (uniformly fantastic). Pace (it seemed to go by in a moment).
overall: 5/5 Definitely will watch again. Like, I would watch it right now. One of the best I've ever seen.

Airplane!
story: 1/5
acting: 3/5--standout: Leslie Nielsen (Dr. Rumack)
visuals: 3/5
intangibles: 5/5--star-packed, odd cast; unforgettable lines; silly; short
overall: 3/5 May watch again.

Conspiracy Theory
story: 3/5
acting: 4/5--standouts: besides the obvious Julia & Mel? Cylk Cozart (Agent Lowry)
visuals: 4/5
intangibles: 5/5--surprisingly solid, funny, smart, weird, romantic, sweet, and unexpected
overall: 4/5 Will watch again.

[the title quotation is by Roger Ebert]

No comments:

Post a Comment