9.20.2019

damn the bus always leaving

Loved you as a humdinger
             in Chicago,
loved you muscle-ly in the long
bluster of winter. I to you, always
             is the way
to move--I to you recited in doorways
and driveways and archways Anyway
             we could fit
together. We temper. Or we timber.
             However we bend
and burst, it's mighty. I've studied
             the body long
enough to know it's not a body
until it's been stirred. The useful
             hand made useful
by the breast, the breast by the ass,
             ass by the last
useable limb. Your legs begging
             to be rammed
into the same dark structure as mine,
because the weather has said we can
             not leave
yet. Look at us: becoming unbecoming.
Us, with our costly hearts. We love, you
             have loved, I will love
you, stave by stave. Whatever we do now
             will be undone.
Damn the bus always leaving. Damn
             this besotted joy.
By the bridged river we wait in a window
for the last of snow to fall. Here is where
             we are, you have, I will
be fumbled and thrown. I saying to you,
             you to I, oh come
on honey, one last stand in my soul.

[Kimberly Grey 'Conjugated', from Best New Poets 2011]

No comments:

Post a Comment