5.26.2020

if I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive

From "200 (Not Boring) Questions To Ask To Get To Know Someone Better" - part 1 of 4

favorite stuffed animal from childhood,
and a gift from someone I can no longer see
1. What’s your favorite way to spend a weekend?
• resting, trying to get my mind as far away from work as possible, adventuring
2. What type of music are you into?
• I like almost everything except opera and bluegrass
3. What was the best vacation you ever took and why?
• my last real vacation was several days in southern California for the wedding of a dear friend's son - six years ago this week
4. Where’s the next place on your travel bucket list and why?
• I do not believe in bucket lists. Under current circumstances, though, I am frothing at the idea of a couple of getaway days in the next state down, or the northern part of this one.
5. What are your hobbies, and how did you get into them?
• Here is one: I started keeping houseplants after buying one on a whim during college
6. What was your favorite age growing up?
• I liked being really little, playing with my 3 neighborhood friends who were my same age. We had a carefree time of it, long days of running around, making up games and chattering together.
7. Was the last thing you read digitally or in print?
James Ziskin's A Stone's Throw, the sixth in the Ellie Stone mystery series (in print)
8. Would you say you’re more of an extrovert or an introvert?
• I will take a TED test and find out, eh? Promise not to be too surprised.
9. What's your favorite ice cream topping?
hot fudge, from Ollie's in Syc.
10. What was the last show you binge-watched?
• Star Trek: Deep Space 9, which I watched from start to finish while I had and recovered from pneumonia this winter
glass hummingbird -
Chris
11. Are you into podcasts or do you only listen to music?
never been the podcast type. I have tried, but it just seems to be so much work.
12. Do you have a favorite holiday? Why or why not?
not really? They are different now than they were when I was a kid. I miss spending time with my family. That is really what holidays are about. 
13. What’s your "Death Row Meal"?
• bacon and biscuits, with sweet tea vodka & lemonade
14. Do you like going to the movies or prefer watching at home?
• different situation completely. I loooove going out to the movies. I also love watching movies at home.
15. What’s your favorite sleeping position?
• I am a restless sleeper, flipping & turning all over the place all night long. More on my sides than anything. Almost never on my belly.
16. What’s your go-to guilty pleasure?
• there are ever so many from which to choose
17. In the summer, would you rather sleep with the window open or blast the A/C?
my best of the baby Bob Marleys
I would love to sleep with the windows open. There have been places where I have been able to do that, and I miss it. The screens do not fit very tightly in my windows, so it gets a little buggy in here at times (yuck), and my allergies are so bad that I really cannot invite that much pollen indoors without paying the price.
18. What’s your favorite quote from a TV show/movie/book?
“I believe,” he said gently, “we all have a perfect right to make ourselves unhappy if that is what we freely choose. But I am not sure we have the right to allow our own unhappiness to cause someone else’s. The trouble with life sometimes is that we are all in it together.” 
(from a book called "Only a Kiss") That will do for the moment, anyway.
19. How old were you when you had your first celebrity crush, and who was it?
• 7th grade maybe? Duran Duran. I claimed I was all over the drummer, Roger, but it was really Simon who drew my attention.
20. What's one thing that can instantly make your day better?
• a doofy message from one of my friends
21. Do you have any pet peeves?
• loads!
22. Which meal is your favorite: breakfast, lunch, or dinner?
• breakfast, always
bittersweet gift -
Chris
23. What song always gets you out on the dance floor?
• the shitty stuff from high school would probably do it
24. When you were a kid, did you eat the crusts on your sandwich or not?
• failure to eat crusts would have meant no further sandwiches for me. Anyway, the family lore said that crusts made you sing better. [laughing out loud at that one!]
25. What activity instantly calms you?
• a stolen nap - or writing in a journal
26. Ideally, how would you spend your birthday?
• ideally, I would sleep hard until waking (without an alarm), then eat a delicious, ridiculous breakfast, and relax a while. After that, I would sort through early communications from friends and family. Then lunch with friends. A good nap in the afternoon. Dinner with family. Out to a movie. Fresh popcorn. Mmm.
27. What do you do on your commute to/from work?
• uhm, drive? I am in the car for maybe 15 minutes, max. Usually a mix CD playing.
28. Do you have a favorite type of exercise?
• "none." No, seriously - Pilates, I suppose, if all else were equal.
Eddie & Jeremy

29. What's your favorite season and why?
• autumn, because the cool weather (finally a sweater!) feels SO good by then
30. What's the best joke you've ever heard?
• "What's the difference between a grimy Greyhound stop and a buxom lobster?" *
31. What's the phone app you use most?
• maybe Tumblr?
32. Would you rather cook or order in?
• probably cook. Outside food is fine sometimes, too. Cooking is a hobby.
33. Have your ever disliked something and then changed your mind?
• yup, I am a grown up. Examples: peppers (veggies in general), jazz music, getting up early (-ish)
34. What's your favorite board game?
• I grew up playing an odd derivation of the combo game Tripoley with my extended family. It is long, complicated, somewhat mercenary, and involves gambling. Perfect for children!
in a home where I am surrounded by art,
these two are the most (financially) valuable
and dear
35. How do you take your coffee?
• dark and very sweet, which is why I have coffee very rarely. I typically order double-shot mocha with whipped cream and extra chocolate (or the iced version of same). It sends my blood sugar and heart rate way out of whack, but it is delicious and I do relish feeling like a hummingbird now and then.
36. What's your most prized possession and why?
• I do not know if there is any one thing that qualifies as "most prized." I am surrounded, in this house, by the things that I have cultivated, over a lifetime, to satisfy my wishes and needs. Some are temporary and some are forever. Some have obvious meaning and others could never possibly be explained. The photographs in this post reveal some of them. 
37. Is there any product that you couldn't live without?
daily migraine prevention medicine, which probably functions as social lubricant as much as illness prophylactic for me
38. Do you sleep with a top sheet? Why or why not?
• yes, because I have a hard time sleeping without something on top of me
39. If you could have any exotic animal as a pet, which would it be?
• meerkat, of course - they are cute and vicious
40. Would you rather spend a day at the beach or poolside?
• beach, and the more secluded, the better
41. What’s your favorite thing about your current job?
• the view from the fishbowl
42. What annoys you most?
• about work? The pervasive sense that no matter what I do, it will not be right.
43. What’s the career highlight you’re most proud of?
• in my current job, "not being successfully sued" is the penultimate achievement
44. Do you think you’ll stay at your current company awhile? Why or why not?
• ahhh, no. See questions 42 & 43, above.
"we're just two lost souls swimming in a fishbowl"
45. What type of role do you want to graduate to after this one?
• lower stress and drama. That does not mean that I fantasize about a stress-free job (no such thing, ever!) - but the stress should be about the work, instead.
46. Are you more of a "work to live" or a "live to work" type of person?
• work to live. Despite some evidence to the contrary, I am not cut-throat ambitious.
47. Does your job make you feel happy and fulfilled? Why or why not?
• No, it does not. It makes me feel angry, sad, and powerless. Why? Because I am doing one job, being paid for another, and "getting credit for" something entirely different. It is an entirely unworkable arrangement that has been destined for disaster since the start.
48. How would your 10-year-old self react to what you do?
• my 10-year-old self could not sit still for the time it would take to comprehend what I do now. If she tried, she would probably burst into tears and fight to get away. This job is no one's dream.
49. What do you remember most about your first job?
• making friends. It was a grimy, physically arduous, annoying job in a lot of ways, but it was also fun and kind of silly, and gave the opportunity to meet a lot of people whom I became lifelong friends.
50. Did you start working immediately after finishing school? Why or why not?
• I have not been unemployed since I was 17, and have either been in school or working full-time the entire time. Apart from "real" vacations - of which there have been few during that time - I have not been away from work for more than two days, even to move house, since I was in high school. Why? Because I am solely responsible for my own life, my own bills. I suppose because I have an internal compulsion to "do the right thing," too, combined with a high debt ratio. 

[from here; the title quotation is by Audre Lord.]
          * One's a crusty bus station - the other's a busty crustacean.

No comments:

Post a Comment