3.19.2022

a Zamboni? Wow, I'm getting wet just thinking about it

A few from the lighter side...

Summer Rental
 (1985) - "After air traffic controller Jack Chester loses a plane (it's covered on his screen by a fly), he's told to take a break. Jack books his family into a plush resort, but it turns out that their lodgings are in a hut by the beach, and that's as good as the vacation gets."
source: I watched it on TV
I watched it because: I'd seen it when it first came out, on a "date" with a boy. I wanted to see if it stood up to time.
IMDB: 6.3/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 17% Audience: 51%
my IMDB: 3/10
notable quote:  "Can you tread water with that hook?"
MPAA rating:  PG
directed by: Carl Reiner
my notes: another pointlessly dumb, unwatchable John Candy movie. What a waste.
overall: not recommended

Tin Cup
 (1996) - "Roy McAvoy (Kevin Costner) was a golf pro with a bright future, but his rebellious nature and bad attitude cost him everything. Now working as a golf instructor, he falls for his newest pupil, Dr. Molly Griswold (Rene Russo), a psychiatrist who happens to be the girlfriend of PGA Tour star and Roy's rival, David Simms (Don Johnson). After he is humiliated by Simms at a celebrity golf tournament, McAvoy decides to make a run for the PGA Tour, as well as Molly's heart."
source: I watched it on TV
I watched it because: this is in the category of Movies That I Cannot Say No To
IMDB: 6.4/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 72% Audience: 65%
my IMDB: 9/10
notable quote:  “When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment—or the moment defines you.”
MPAA rating: R
directed by: Ron Shelton
my notes: love it. Everything about it tickles me.
overall:  recommended

Rush: The Rise of Kings 1968-1981
 (2014) - "This film traces the history of Rush from the bar rooms of Toronto in the late 1960s to the world's largest arenas in the late 70s and early 1980s, by which time they were amongst the biggest bands on the planet."
source: it was on TV
I watched it because: Rush has a place in my heart
IMDB: 8/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: N/A%
my IMDB: 8/10
MPAA rating: NR
my notes: if you're a fan, then it will be as compelling as anything else about the band. If not, it will be inexplicable and disjointed. 
overall:  recommended

Mystery, Alaska
 (1999) - "Comical tale about the residents of a small, remote Alaskan town and their preoccupation with ice hockey. Excitement comes to the town when, as part of a publicity stunt, the professional stars of the New York Rangers come to Alaska to face off against the local amateur team in a televised match. Small-town intrigues and petty rivalries must be shelved if the locals are to put up a respectable defense."
source: I own the DVD
I watched it because: I haven't seen it in way too long, and was in hockey mode
IMDB: 6.7/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 37% Audience: 66%
my IMDB: 7/10
notable quote:  “This is hockey, OK? It's not rocket surgery."
MPAA rating: R
directed by: Jay Roach
my notes: this is an awesome, feel-good, funny, sweet movie
overall: very highly recommended

Slap Shot
 (1977) - "In the small New England town of Charlestown, the local mill is about to lay off 10,000 workers. The town's minor league hockey team, the Charlestown Chiefs, is doing no better. After years of failure, this will be the team's last season. Exasperated player and coach Reggie Dunlop (Paul Newman) lets the club's recent acquisitions, the Hanson Brothers, play. The brothers' actively violent and thuggish style of play excites the fans. Dunlop retools the team, using violence to draw big crowds."
source: streamed on Amazon Prime (rented)
I watched it because: I was told that I had to see this hockey movie
IMDB: 7.3/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 83% Audience: 89%
my IMDB: 5/10
notable quote:  “I tried to capture the spirit of the thing.”
MPAA rating: R
directed by: George Roy Hill
my notes: it's funny, dated, and full of great songs
overall:  recommended

[the title quotation is from Mystery, Alaska]

No comments:

Post a Comment