6.29.2020

only physicists with hypothermia who are accused of being a terrorist

Three boos and a brilliant!

Straight from the Heart
Straight from the Heart
 (2003) - "When a middle-aged woman in NYC is unhappy with her present love life, she jumps at the chance to travel to Wyoming and meet a widowed rancher who is also looking for love."
Source: my dad gave me the DVD
I watched it because: I am winding up the first run through all of the movies I own
IMDB: 6.9/10
Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: N/A% Audience: N/A%
story: 4/10--silly, with several too many coincidences and avoidable conflicts
visuals: 7/10--some pretty scenery
costumes, hair & makeup: 6/10
acting: 5/10--unmemorable 
intangibles: 5/10--the point of this movie is the romance, and there is zero chemistry between the main characters.  
overall: 5.4/10
I would recommend this to: "horse people"

Serpico
Serpico
 (1973) - "An honest New York cop named Frank Serpico blows the whistle on rampant corruption in the force only to have his comrades turn against him."
Source: my dad gave me the DVD
I watched it because: after the last choice, I wanted something more serious
IMDB: 7.7/10
Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 90% Audience: 88%
AFI: 100 Years ... 100 Heroes and Villains (2003) Hero #40 
100 Years...100 Cheers (2006)--#84   
story: 7/10
visuals: 5/10
costumes, hair & makeup: 6/10
acting: 6/10--standout: Tony Roberts (Bob Blair)
intangibles: 2/10--I did not buy it. The story itself is simple, and it takes about 10 minutes to figure out how (broadly) it will end. Pacino is grating in this very straightforward role.
Academy Award nominee:
• Best Actor--Al Pacino (Frank Serpico)
• Best Writing, Based on Material from Another Medium
overall: 5.2/10
I would recommend this to: I am not certain that I would recommend it. I really did not like it. 


The Grapes of Wrath
The Grapes of Wrath
 (1940) - "A poor Midwest family is forced off their land. They travel to California, suffering the misfortunes of the homeless in the Great Depression."
     (Since when is Oklahoma "Midwest"? And "misfortunes" seems quite tame!)
Source: my dad gave me the DVD
I watched it because: I have not seen it (nor read the book) and have always been curious.
IMDB: 8.0/10
Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 100% Audience: 88%
AFI: 100 Years...100 Movies (1998)--#21
     100 Years...100 Movies - 10th Anniversary Edition (2007)--#23
     100 Years...100 Cheers (2006)--#7
story: 8/10--complicated! Bordering on the melodramatic, but fascinating.
visuals: 8/10--there are moments in this film that are so well lit, they appear to be truly "moving pictures" on the level of Dorothea Lange or similar era photographers
costumes, hair & makeup: 7/10--pretty basic
acting: 9.5/10--standouts: Henry Fonda (Tom Joad) in a defining role from a brilliant career, and John Carradine (Jim Casy) as an unforgettable, odd, tender soul
intangibles: 8.5/10--it should be depressing, but I finished the film feeling peaceful and ...empowered maybe? Very well done, and highly recommended.
Academy Award winner: 
• Best Director--John Ford
• Best Supporting Actress--Jane Darwell (Ma Joad)
Academy Award nominee:
• Best Picture
• Best Actor--Fonda
• Best Writing, Screenplay
• Best Sound, Recording
• Best Film Editing
overall: 8.2/10
I would recommend this to: fans of the classics, anyone who has read the book, or those with an interest in this era of history.

Chain Reaction
Chain Reaction
 (1996) - "Two researchers in a green alternative energy project are put on the run when they are framed for murder and treason."
Source: borrowed from my parents' collection
I watched it because: the lead actors have been on my mind lately, so it falling into my hands just now seemed like kismet
IMDB: 5.7/10
Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 16% Audience: 27%
story: 1/10
visuals: 4/10
costumes, hair & makeup: 2/10
acting: 2/10--execrable. Even Morgan Freeman was painful to watch.
intangibles: 2/10--dumb, dumb, dumb
overall: 2.2/10
I would recommend this to: no one. For the love....

[the title quotation is from Chain Reaction - and is typical of the rest of the dialog]

No comments:

Post a Comment