8.25.2020

I don't make deals. Why would I? I'm in charge of it all

Five winners out of a group of six! Unprecedented quality this time around. A Western, a religious drama, costume drama, madcap adventure nonsense, Native American history, and a comedy that violates all sorts of political correctness mandates. 

Posse
Posse
 (1993) - "In 1898 Cuba, five Buffalo Soldiers find a gold cache, desert, and return to America, where they help defend a black town from the KKK, all the while trying to avoid capture by lawmen and military authorities alike."
Source: I borrowed the DVD from my parents' collection
I watched it because: I was not familiar with it and thought it might be good
IMDB: 5.5/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 29% Audience: 47%
notable quote: "Oh, my God! Make me think I've been in the wrong saddle all these years!"
story: it's a typical greed/revenge Western, somewhat untypical in the way that race plays a strong role
visuals: excellent cinematography
costumes, hair & makeup: shrug
acting: much of the cast is well known, though in many cases their notoriety is not for their acting skill. Mario Van Peebles does a staring move that is supposed to "mean business" but manages to be both creepy and annoying. 
intangibles: one gets the impression that this is an important story to tell, but it was immeasurably weakened by trite camera and effects tricks, a wishy-washy script that could not fall firmly on the side of drama or comedy, and all the directing I could fit in my hat
overall: not recommended

The Mission
The Mission
 (1986) - "Eighteenth-century Spanish Jesuits try to protect a remote South American tribe in danger of falling under the rule of pro-slavery Portugal."
Source:  I borrowed the DVD from my parents' collection
I watched it because: I'd heard good things about it
IMDB: 7.4/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 64% Audience: 87%
notable quote: "As my conscience dictates."
story: complicated. One of those movies I can't follow until about halfway through. Motivations are slowly revealed, intentions are buried, and truth is relative.
visuals: stunning scenery. The cinematography is outstanding.
costumes, hair & makeup: really good
acting: Jeremy Irons (Gabriel) is fantastic in this
intangibles: I feel like I should have really liked it, but I didn't. Nothing wrong with it, just wasn't my cup of tea.
Academy Award winner: Best Cinematography
Academy Award nominee:
• Best Picture
• Best Director
• Best Art Direction--Set Decoration
• Best Costume Design
• Best Film Editing
• Best Music, Original Score
overall: recommended

The Duchess
The Duchess
 (2008) - "A chronicle of the life of 18th-century aristocrat Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire, who was reviled for her extravagant political and personal life."
Source: I borrowed the DVD from my parents' collection
I watched it because: the lead actors are among my favorites, and the period in history is not one with which I am familiar
IMDB: 6.9/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 62% Audience: 67%
notable quote: "'Do you think of me when we're not together?' 
'You ought to know I do.'"
story: spoiled rich girl is wed to a dour but handsome Duke. She soon realizes that he, and marriage, do not suit her. Under the circumstances, she tries to make the best of it. Her "best" is wild and scandalous.
visuals: elaborate and decadent; everything is so sunshiney and beautiful
costumes, hair & makeup: stunning, sumptuously designed clothing, fancy hair and hats
acting: Ralph Feinnes (The Duke) is the key to this. His restraint spotlights the Duchess' hedonism.
intangibles: I found it stilted and strange, a probably unfair portrayal of a person who may have been more complicated than the film made it seem.
Academy Award winner: Best Costume Design
Academy Award nominee: Best Art Direction
overall: recommended with reservations

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
 (1963) - "A group of motorists hear about a crook's hidden stash of loot, and race against each other across the country to get to it."
Source: I borrowed the DVD from my parents' collection
I watched it because: it's a classic, but I'm not entirely sure why
IMDB: 7.5/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 69% Audience: 83%
AFI: 100 Years...100 Laughs (2000) #40
notable quote: "I'll wager you anything you like: if American women stopped wearing brassieres, your whole national economy would collapse overnight."
story: an odd caper film in the style of Cannonball Run or Rat Race but with some pretty good twists that make it worth seeing
visuals: nice effects and angles. Cleverly done.
costumes, hair & makeup: some fun looks
acting: Spencer Tracy (Captain T.G. Culpepper) was awesome
intangibles: strange, a little wild, and fun. Definitely one to watch.
Academy Award winner: Best Effects, Sound Effects
Academy Award nominee:
• Best Cinematography, Color
• Best Sound
• Best Film Editing
• Best Music, Original Song
• Best Music, Score--Substantially Original
overall: recommended

Geronimo
Geronimo: An American Legend
 (1993) - "The story of the Apache chief and his armed resistance to the U.S. government's subjugation of his people."
Source: I borrowed the DVD from my parents' collection
I watched it because: the cast is well known but the film is not
IMDB: 6.5/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 48% Audience: 51%
notable quote: "It's a moral value, once you understand it."
story: it's a good story that too few people know about. Unfortunately, the movie muddles the telling.
visuals: outstanding location shooting
costumes, hair & makeup: they contribute to the story
acting: Wes Studi (Geronimo) is charismatic and awesome, and Jason Patric (Lt. Charles Gatewood) gives a thoughtful, understated performance
intangibles: I liked this engrossing, disturbing movie a great deal. 
overall: recommended

People will Talk
People will Talk
 (1951) - "Dr. Noah Praetorius falls in love with Deborah, a student who finds out that she is pregnant by her old boyfriend."
Source: I borrowed the DVD from my parents' collection
I watched it because: I was in the mood for a comedy
IMDB: 7.4/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 100% Audience: 79%
notable quote: "I can't give you symptoms! It's love, not measles."
story: medical doctor with a shrouded past, teaching at university, gets involved with the dramas of a female student while facing personal difficulties of his own
visuals: not terribly elaborate, but set up well
costumes, hair & makeup: somewhat unrealistically glamorous for the academic setting 
acting: Cary Grant (Dr. Praetorius) was so good in this! It may be his finest performance. Jeanne Crain (Deborah Higgins) enlivened what could have been a cardboard role and paired well with Grant. 
intangibles: it is not the typical movie, for sure. Kind of racy and challenging. But there is something appealing and moving about it.
overall: recommended

[the title quotation is from The Duchess]

No comments:

Post a Comment