8.31.2020

you’re in charge of this light my convoluted structure, This whole matrix illuminated

From here I can see your ignition, your vivacity, 
Your complicated firing & this electrical striking 

Distance. I would so gladly give over the directions, 
Would be lost or pretend it for minutes 

Or hours to be in stasis with just you. This random 
Mismatch, these words you’re no longer saving. 

I’m savoring this time because it’s what I’m allotted. 
You’re in charge of this light my convoluted structure, 

This whole matrix illuminated. It looks to me like the present 
Is right now more than ever yet the sweetness is no nothing. 

There is this fire. There is this walking. There is your mouth 
& those brief clashes, our bodies together, pinned 

to each other like signs blink blinking: one flash for hello, 
I am something I do not want without you. The retina 

Burn lingering reckless. You can never be inside of me so 
I have to hold you through the night. This unbelievable luck 

Like a clover, tattooed on my wrist so it persists. It persists. 

[Nate Pritts {1974- } “You are Hurtling”, from Sweet Nothing: Poems]

No comments:

Post a Comment