9.15.2020

risk nothing and you gain nothing

Spoiler alerts! Don't read it if you have not seen it.

The Shop Around the Corner
The Shop Around the Corner
 (1940) - "Two employees at a gift shop can barely stand each other, without realizing that they are falling in love through the post as each other's anonymous pen pal."
Source:  I borrowed the DVD from my parents' collection
I watched it because: my parents and I had watched this a while ago and loved it; it was time to see it again
IMDB: 8.1/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 100% Audience: 91%
AFI: 100 Years...100 Passions (2002) #28
notable quote: "The boss hands you the envelope. You wonder how much is in it, and you don't want to open it. As long as the envelope's closed, you're a millionaire."
story: so old-fashioned that it's come around to seem very modern again, in the way that we make and perceive connections. A sweet and lovely story.
visuals: interesting; the film takes place in Hungary and the set is quaintly expressive
costumes, hair & makeup: they match the timeframe
acting: Felix Bressart as Pirovitch the matchmaker, is a bright note of wit 
intangibles: Jimmy Stewart can be a heavy presence in a film, particularly one with this much dialog. This is still worth seeing, though.
overall: recommended

The Other Boleyn Girl
The Other Boleyn Girl
 (2008) - "Two sisters contend for the affection of King Henry VIII."
Source: I borrowed the DVD from my parents' collection
I watched it because: I like Natalie Portman
IMDB: 6.7/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 43% Audience: 62%
notable quote: "Observe the ladies of the court. See how they achieve what they want from their men—not by stamping their little feet but by allowing the men to believe that they, indeed, are in charge. That is the art of being a woman."
story: Henry VIII from the perspective of the two Boleyn girls with whom he was ... involved
visuals: sumptuous, rich, and evocative of the period 
costumes, hair & makeup: this is the kind of propaganda crap that makes modern women think they ought to own a corset or three, and that velvet would make a sensible fabric for dresses
acting: Supposedly a vehicle to showcase Portman (Anne Boleyn), this is - for me - all about Scarlett Johansson (Mary Boleyn). She shows enormous range in a character who transforms through the course of the film and is the strongest emotional connection for the audience. Mark Rylance, as the ineffectual Sir Thomas Boleyn, is also terrific.
intangibles: I liked this much more than I thought I would, though it is not a "good movie" in the usual sense. 
overall: recommended

The Holiday
The Holiday
 (2006) - "Two women troubled with guy problems swap homes in each others' countries, where they each meet a local guy and fall in love."
Source: streamed on Amazon Prime
I watched it because: I had seen it a few years ago and it stuck with me in a weird way
IMDB: 6.9/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 49% Audience: 80%
notable quote: "You, I can tell, are a leading lady—but for some reason you are behaving like the best friend."
story: the IMDB description is facile, of course. There is palpable heartache here, big change, growth, kindness, and of course a great deal of wit. Though it is a sweet film, it also made me laugh a lot.
visuals: undeniably lovely, in vastly different ways
costumes, hair & makeup: pretty people being pretty!
acting: Kate Winslet (Iris) is outstanding in this movie; her pain seems real, but so does her shy growth toward the sun. Jack Black (Miles)—not one of my faves—is first-rate in a role that requires a lot of comedy, singing, and genuine acting. And Jude Law (Graham) is quietly superb as the drunken heartthrob/soft-hearted dad.
intangibles: it's got some hidden sharp edges for me (there's one line that gets me hard, square in the face) but it's a winner, and well worth seeing
overall: recommended

Saving Face
Saving Face
 (2004) - "A Chinese-American lesbian and her traditionalist mother are reluctant to go public with secret loves that clash against cultural expectations."
Source: streamed on Amazon Prime
I watched it because: I wanted to see something Asian but was not in the mood for martial arts. This had been recommended in my feed before.
IMDB: 7.4/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 86% Audience: 88%
notable quote: "I'm teaching them how to fall without hurting themselves."
story: it's a film about age and gender, culture and family, expectations and freedom. What it means to be a good _____. (Fill in your own blank.)
visuals: dramatic and beautiful
costumes, hair & makeup: perfect matches to each character, supporting their unique roles in the movie
acting: wonderful, across the board. Michelle Krusiec (Wil Pang) is especially nuanced and relatable.
intangibles: this film is gorgeous to watch, painful to experience, and absolutely sticks with you.
overall: unreservedly recommended

I'm About to Lose Control And I Think Joe Lycett Live
I'm About to Lose Control and I Think—Joe Lycett Live
 (2018) - "Joe Lycett's brand new stand-up show is ready for you to stream and/or download. You will totally love it Babe!"
Source: streamed on YouTube
I watched it because: Lycett is my favorite comedian. I stumbled upon him from 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown and QI - which I found once I'd drained the internet of Whose Line is it Anyway? clips - and started seeking him out on his own.
IMDB: 7.7/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: N/A%
what's the deal: Joe is bisexual, erudite, painfully hilarious, bitchy, and strangely gorgeous. He has a few standard bits (there is one about artisan coffee shops that makes me weak with laughter) and gets pretty riled.
intangibles: I watched this after a very long day of work. I'd been letting the Auto-Play run, feeding me clip after clip of his stuff, just winding myself down. This started playing after I usually go to bed, and once I realized it is 74 minutes long, I considered shutting it off to play later...briefly. I was up until around 2:00 in the morning. It's totally worth it.
overall: highly recommended

[the title quotation is from The Other Boleyn Girl]

No comments:

Post a Comment