9.12.2020

you know, I've always wondered if a crazy man knew when he was crazy

Four big winners here - and, within reason, something for everyone. War, stranded on an island, murder, double-crossing, suspense, adventure, the mob, and a dusty Western. 

Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison
Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison 
(1957) - "During World War II, an American marine and an Irish [i.e. Scottish] nun form an unlikely friendship after being stranded on a South Pacific island. They find comfort in one another as the two hope for a rescue."
Source: I borrowed the DVD from my parents' collection
I watched it because: I like Deborah Kerr (Sister Angela), and hadn't seen Robert Mitchum (Cpl. Allison) in anything from this early in his career
IMDB: 7.3/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 88% Audience: 81%
notable quote: "Why do ya gotta have big blue eyes, and a beautiful smile...and freckles?"
story: it's a peculiar idea, and no brief description can do it justice. It really does make sense - the story is very compelling and wonderfully acted.
visuals: stunning - filmed on location on Tobago
costumes, hair & makeup: the only wrong note of the song. There's just no way a nun's habit would be starched and white even moments after arriving on a South Seas island by boat. Strangely, Cpl. Allison's hair was longer and shorter at varying times during the movie; continuity was not a concern yet when this was made.
acting: extremely well done. Mitchum makes a believable Marine, rugged and capable, and his singing voice is wonderful. Kerr gave just the right balance of innocence and confidence as Sister Angela.
intangibles: it should be apparent that I liked this very much. It's not a tear-jerker, just thought-provoking and outside the typical WWII realm.
Academy Award nominee:
• Best Actress--Kerr 
• Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium
overall: highly recommended

Dead Ringer
Dead Ringer
(1964) - "The working-class twin sister of a callous, wealthy woman impulsively murders her out of revenge and assumes her identity. But impersonating her dead twin is more complicated and risky than she anticipated."
Source: I borrowed the DVD from my parents' collection
I watched it because: it's a classic
IMDB: 7.3/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 100% Audience: 79%
notable quote:  "The only thing I care about is you and a Maserati, in that order."
story: far-fetched but engrossing enough
visuals: well done - adding to the creepiness
costumes, hair & makeup: an integral part of the story, this is quite good
acting: Bette Davis (Edith Phillips/Margaret DeLorca) was so distinctive!
intangibles: stone cold. There are moments of brilliance here.
overall: recommended

The Secret of Convict Lake
The Secret of Convict Lake
 (1951) - "In 1871 a convict escapes, with other prisoners, to kill the man that framed him, but has second thoughts after meeting the man's beautiful future wife."
Source: I borrowed the DVD from my parents' collection
I watched it because: Glenn Ford and Gene Tierney are two of my cinematic faves
IMDB: 7.010  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: N/A% Audience: 40%
notable quote:  "I'm a poor old woman lying in a bed of pain reading my Bible—you bloodthirsty weasel!"
story: I know it sounds like a reject from the dollar bin at Target, but it really does make way more sense as it plays out. 
visuals: quite thrillingly put together
costumes, hair & makeup: realistic but still very flattering to the actors
acting: Ford (Jim Canfield) and Tierney (Marcia Stoddard) are a pleasure to watch, with real chemistry, and so good looking. And Ethel Barrymore (Granny) may be the finest there ever was.
intangibles: wild and strange, a great twist on the way sparks fly when a strong woman meets an even stronger man
overall: enthusiastically recommended

Deadline U.S.A.
Deadline USA
 (1952) - "With his newspaper about to be sold, crusading editor Ed Hutcheson tries to complete an exposé on gangster Rienzi."
Source: I borrowed the DVD from my parents' collection
I watched it because: Humphrey Bogart is a quirky dude, and the idea of him in the role of a crusading editor intrigued me
IMDB: 7.2/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 86% Audience: 72%
notable quote: "'Did I have a pleasant time last night?' 
    'Yes, dear.'
    'I did? Well, what do you know?!'"
story: my long-time interest in mass communications (news writing) was fed by this fast-paced, engrossing, hard-boiled film 
visuals: noir and gritty without devolving into tacky stereotype
costumes, hair & makeup: wonderful hats and costuming
acting: Bogart (Hutcheson) was so good in this! Kim Hunter shines as his ex-wife Nora.
intangibles: it's a nice, tight, well done movie
overall: recommended

The Stalking Moon
The Stalking Moon
 (1968) - "A sympathetic retired Army scout takes in a white woman and her half-Apache son, not knowing that the boy's father, a murderous renegade Apache, is after them."
Source: I borrowed the DVD from my parents' collection
I watched it because: Gregory Peck is under my (cinematic) skin. I think he's taken over for Clark Gable as the stand-in for animal brain, since Gable's movies are so hard for me to find.
IMDB: 6.7/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 40% Audience: 62%
notable quote: "I didn't have the courage to die...."
story: profusely dumb. Peck's Sam Varner is supposed to be this savvy dude, so there's no viable reason for him to have hooked up with a loser like Eva Marie Saint's ding-dong wuss, Sarah Carver.
visuals: dusty
costumes, hair & makeup: dusty
acting: ...dusty? Nothing passionate or wild or unbridled here, just sort of plodding along. 
intangibles: NO one cares about the kid that's supposed to be at the heart of this film - not his mother, not his Apache father, and certainly not Sam Varner. There's no point to it.
overall: not recommended

[the title quotation is from The Secret of Convict Lake]

No comments:

Post a Comment