9.17.2020

you must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment

 from "Questions to Get to Know Someone"

173. What would you do if you knew you were going to die in one day?  very quickly dash out the "death letter" that I've been meaning to finish for the last 10 months or so - bringing my fiduciaries up to date on my estate plan; cancel some online orders and auto payments; update some beneficiary designations; make a few calls to tell some people I love that I love them; and spend the rest of the day taking a nap

The tequila birthday - hat174. What are some of the events in your life that have made you who you are?  an intense scare from a dog when I was small; a series of phone calls with Andrew; "Ophelia", Johnnie Walker Blue, the tequila birthday, a nap on the couch...

178. What would be some of the most annoying things about having yourself as a roommate?  water bottles everywhere; socks everywhere; I sometimes fight like an injured, cornered animal; and singing while I do the dishes

180. If you could make one rule that everyone had to follow, what rule would you make?  no lawn mowing before 9:AM

181. What's something that happened or something that someone said that changed how you view the world?  my most vain college boyfriend (and wow is that a pick from a whole beauty pageant full of contestants) was a guy named Russ. Tall, blond, sort of Swedish looking, with an open, pleasant smile and shining eyes. He was from out West, having moved to the Midwest for school. The first night that we went out, we walked from his crappy shared house down to the lake. He was quite gentlemanly, helping me across the railroad tracks and actually picking me up when there was a big puddle, rather than just walking around it. (The chivalry would not last.) 

Near the lake, we wandered through a playground and onto an elaborate jungle gym. From the top, we could see the whole lake and a good distance beyond. I made some deprecating remarks about the swamp and the smell and how lame this town is. He shushed me, and started pointing out some of the things that make this area special. The lakes. The bluffs. All the trees. The neighborhood parks - which are not something that every little city has. The river. The flowers. The churches. The architecture. 

He was right. That conversation stuck with me. Whether or not I wanted to live here (which, at the time, I decidedly did not), it's an objectively beautiful place, and I was not giving it enough credit. I came to miss it very much over time, and eventually came back. I don't think I will ever forget what he said about it.

Of course, I also don't think I will ever forget the other things he said. Like when I told him he was so incredible and good looking and utterly out of my league, to which he answered, "You're right, and this won't last, so why not take advantage while you can?" My grown up self wishes I could go back and dunk my 18-y-o self in a bucket of cold water, and then punch him in the face with his own nuts. He was nowhere near that good looking.

182. If you were put into solitary confinement for six months, what would you do to stay sane?  that would be impossible. Couldn't even do it for six hours.

183. If you could have a video of any one event of your life, what event would you choose?  I'd like a montage of Mumbler moments. I miss him something fierce.

184. What incredibly strong opinion or belief do you have that is completely unimportant in the grand scheme of things?  much that we call "history" or "religion" is actually metaphor

186. If you could convince everyone in the world to do the same thing at one point in time, what would that thing be?  do The Wave

188. What do you wish you could tell yourself ten years ago? What do you think you'll want to tell your current self ten years from now?  ten years ago: 'run fast, run far.'  ten years from now, looking back to today: 'prioritize flexibility over speed & strength'

189. If you were forced to relive one 10-minute block of your life again and again for all eternity, what ten minutes of your life would you choose?  that is so easy to choose, and impossible to share. Suffice it to say it is extremely personal but is someone else's secret.

190. Have you ever saved someone's life?  so he says

191. What are you addicted to?  caffeine

192. What keeps you up at night?  faulty exhaust systems on my neighbors' cars

193. What lie do you tell most often?  "I don't break the law because I'm a licensed attorney." Virtually every time I sit in the driver's seat of a car, I break a law.

194. What do you regret not doing?  picking up a keepsake of the trip south during the summer

195. What gives your life meaning?  creation. Taking intriguing photographs, growing fascinating plants, cooking or baking, writing compelling stories. Building something. 

196. What are you most insecure about?  coming in last

197. What bridges do you regret not burning?  this question could get me in so much trouble!! For the purposes of this blog and my current safety, I'll say Ulysses (very early on), and T.O.

199. How do you get in the way of your own success?  I have a hot temper, an elaborate vocabulary, and a sharp tongue. These have been no advantage with my last few direct supervisors.

201. What's the most surprising self-realization you've had?  that I'm still learning, and picking up more all the time

203. What's the one thing you did that you really wish you could go back and undo?  there was an opportunity a few years ago to get an MBA, fairly quickly and inexpensively. Had I leapt at that chance my career would have headed in a different direction already. I chose not to go for it because it would have been "inconvenient" - in terms of commuting and working long hours. That temporary practicality should have been more easily overcome.

[from here; the title quotation is by Henry David Thoreau]

No comments:

Post a Comment