10.20.2020

the tongue of man is a twisty thing

 from 160 First Date Questions

127. What habit do you wish you could start?  eating truly healthy. Or "not eating so unhealthy."

128. What's the best way to get to know who someone really is?  listen

129. What's the last new thing you tried?  contacting a recruiter directly, for help to find a job

130. Who besides your parents taught you the most about life?  me, my choices, mistakes and experiences 

halfasleep
131. When are you the most "you" that you can be? In other words, when do you feel most like yourself?  lying in bed, reading, talking low & slow, a long hug, easing into the day

132. What's the most spontaneous thing you've done?  quit my job when I was nineteen and hotly angry about my schedule being changed, walking out the door without another source of income

133. What's happening now that in twenty years people will look back on and laugh about?  oh, so much. If there is still a world twenty years from now, they'll have much at which to laugh!

134. How much social interaction is too much?  that's impossible to define but I know it when I see it

135. How different do you act when you are with acquaintances versus people with whom you are comfortable?  quieter, more (artificially) respectful, probably more 'formal' in the sense of trotting out the mini-resume and so forth about which I presume that my real friends don't really need to hear.

136. On a weekend or holiday, what is the best time of day and the best time of night?  day: waking up, with the whole day ahead    night: just before dinner, when the night is full of promise

137. What are you looking forward to that is happening soon?  the end of the U.S. presidential election season

138. What really cheesy song do you love?  "Little Willy" by Sweet

139. What are the worst and best jobs you've had?  worst: my current position is terribly ill-suited to my personality. I would like to say that it's not a bad job, but it is difficult to imagine this work not being frustrating and depressing for almost anyone. Most of my 'customers' are demanding and irritating, and the work is either mind-numbingly dull or heart-pounding tense. I loathe the careening from one extreme to the other, never finding my ease.

    best: office manager at a test-prep company. I handled all the "back room" stuff, making sure that the students, teachers, and sales staff had everything they needed to do what needed to be done. It absolutely suited my skills and disposition. It didn't hurt that the location manager was fantastic at his job (and a genuinely good person), I got along well with my boss, colleagues and the students, and we had a great time while we worked hard.

140. What's been a significant plot twist in your own life?  meeting Heidi. To paraphrase that great quote, she woke me up and kicked my ass.

142. What's your go-to funny story?  that is not how my sense of humor works at all. If someone says "tell me a funny story," my synapses freeze up and nothing comes out of me but dust.

[from here; the title quotation is by Homer]

No comments:

Post a Comment