10.20.2020

two fish, you and I

I don’t want to hear about 
the phases of the moon 
the seven perfect words 
cheerleaders in the trees 

or the woman from the suburbs 
who gave herself to science 
who unbuttoned her blouse 
for the purpose of research 

I don’t want to watch 
your goddamn movie trailer 
in which the gold-haired tax attorney 
weds the famous chef 

only to realize then 
that she has always been in love 
with the silent boy who kissed her 
standing on the floating bridge 

or have you turn to me and say 
we’re two fish, you and I, 
darting, drifting, spinning, 
in the river’s haste and tug 

don’t want to hear about 
the Phoenician alphabet 
I don’t want to lick my wounds 
when it’s yours I want to lick 

[Troy Jollimore {1971- } from “Imperceptibly”, in At Lake Scugog: Poems]

No comments:

Post a Comment