1.18.2021

a sense of wrongness, of fraught unease, as if long nails scraped the surface of the moon, raising the hackles of the soul

from Random questions 
 
91. What is your worst memory or creepiest experience?
   this isn't "worst," but it is creepy. Over the several years that I worked at the grocery store, from age 17 to 21, I went out with a number of guys from there. It was always very casual - a night at a bar, someone's house for a Pay-per-View boxing match, a bus ride to a Twins game - and rarely lasted longer than the time it took for me to note it in my journal. 
    An exception was a guy I will call X. We met not too long after I started at the store. X attracted my attention purely by way of his ardency: he was very interested in me right from the start. He was not exactly my type, but I certainly liked being liked, so I went along with it. (Not a point in my favor, I realize.) I don't remember doing much with X beyond going to the movies or once or twice to his apartment, which was directly across the street from the spire of the Polish Catholic Church on the east side of town. 
    One afternoon we were at his apartment, looking at pictures. There was one of X with his most recent ex-girlfriend, who was a couple years younger than me. I asked why they'd broken up and he made a noise and said her parents wouldn't let them see each other anymore. I just looked at him until he finished the story. "They said she was too young for me."
    "How old are you?" I asked, realizing that I'd had no idea. 
    "I'm only twenty-seven," X scoffed.
    It clicked all at once that it was not me that he liked, but my seventeen-ness. And that I needed to get the Hell out of there right then. I strode across the room to dramatically depart...but couldn't figure out his complex system of deadbolts. It ruined my stunning exit when he had to help me open the damned door. 
    I have since been involved with someone at that age difference, but as an adult. It was enough of a challenge when both of us were relatively grown up. I can absolutely appreciate why there are rules against it when one of the parties lacks the discernment to protect herself.
93. What is something you swore you would never do when you grew up, but you did anyway?
   [roaring with laughter] wore tennis shoes with a skirt, to walk on a break
95. If you could travel anywhere, where would you go?
   I need somewhere to begin...
96. How do you approach people?
   from the front
97. What is your opinion on first impressions?
   sometimes you just know
98. What are some things you did as a child that you no longer do?
   spin for no reason at all, eat butter by the fingerful, hit my head a lot, play Scrabble often, or talk on the phone with friends at least once a day
99. What languages can you speak?
   just the one
100. What do you think society will be like in 30 years?
   I'm not convinced there will be one. We seem pretty driven to annihilate life on the planet.
101. What do you do on your lazy days?
   there are few truly lazy days anymore. I typically catch up on the tasks upon which I've fallen behind, pre-post for the other blog, gather some ideas for this blog, and watch an extra movie or two. Sometimes nap, overdose on meat, read, and futz with the plants. Occasionally go driving.
103. Favorite food?
   roast beast
106. What was the last friendship you broke?
   the way that's phrased makes it sound like it was doing just great until I walked up with a brick to shatter it. That's hardly the way it went down. As I understand it, the cop's brother-in-law and sister have taken offense to the renewal of my acquaintance with him, and are no longer motivated to share my friendship. After 41 years, it's more than a little bewildering and hurtful—but nowhere near what the cop must feel, given their (apparent) treatment of him. I have no interest in getting in the middle of their family drama (trust me on that one) and hardly need to take sides in this. However, if I had to, it is clear which side I would choose. There is no room in my life for sanctimony.
107. Do you have any pet peeves? 
  speed traps, movies with cheap endings, "couples day" BS on FB, fatty meat in a restaurant, and "I was kidding" as an excuse for cruelty
108. Who was the last person you gave a hug to?
   the cop
109. When was the last time you got seriously stressed?
   Monday, the 11th
110. What part of your personality do you want to change?
   taking things personally
111. Who is the most positively influential person in your life right now?
   Kylie (my therapist)
113. What did you want to be when you were little?
   intriguing
114. What are some things that you are good at?
   listening, inventing vacation ideas, helping (trying to, at least)
115. What is one thing you want to be good at?
   getting over it
116. What distracts you the most, especially when you're trying to work?
   wishing I had a nickname, forgetting how to count, and missing my friends.
117. How important is privacy to you?
   profoundly. On a 0-10 scale, it's an 11
118. If you could create one social norm, what would it be?
  going back to the days of giving flowers
120. What story do you like to tell about yourself at parties?
   I don't like to talk about myself at parties unless the person with whom I am talking knows me really well.  In any case, I do not have a "go to."
 
[from here; the title quotation is by China Miéville, from Perdido Street Station]

No comments:

Post a Comment