1.30.2021

I reveal myself one mask at a time

I like things my way 
every chance I get. 
A limit doesn’t exist 
 
when it comes to that. 
But please, don’t confuse 
what I say with honesty. 
 
Isn’t honesty the open yawn 
the unimaginable love 
more than truth? 
 
Anonymous among strangers 
I look for those 
with hidden wings, 
 
and for scars 
that those who once had wings 
can’t hide. 
 
Though I know it’s unfair, 
I reveal myself 
one mask at a time. 
 
Does this appeal to you, 
such slow disclosures, 
a lifetime perhaps 

of almost knowing one another? 
I would hope you, too, 
would hold something back, 
 
and that you’d always want 
whatever unequal share 
you had style enough to get. 
 
Altruism is for those 
who can’t endure their desires. 
There’s a world 
 
as ambiguous as a moan, 
a pleasure moan 
our earnest neighbors 
 
might think a crime. 
It’s where we could live. 
I’ll say I love you, 
 
which will lead, of course, 
to disappointment, 
but those words unsaid 
 
poison every next moment. 
I will try to disappoint you 
better than anyone ever has. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment