2.28.2021

become one with the one

Because I gazed out the window at birds 
doing backflips when the subject turned 
to diamonds, because my eyes glazed over 
with the slightly sleepy sheen your cake will wear, 
 
never let it be said that I’d rather be 
firing arrows at heart-shaped dartboards 
or in a cave composing polyglot puns. 
I crave, I long for transforming love 
 
as surely as leaves need water and mouths seek bread. 
But I also fear the colder changes 
that lie in wait and threaten to turn 
moons of honey to pools of molasses, 
 
broad front porches to narrow back gardens, 
and tight rings of friendship to flimsy things 
that break when a gold band brightly implies 
leave early, go home, become one with the one 
 
the world has told you to tend and treasure 
above all others. You love, and that’s good; 
you are loved, that’s superb; you will vanish 
and reap some happy rewards. But look at the birds. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment