2.16.2022

a little paradise Held in the world's vice

I've been in love for long 
With what I cannot tell 
And will contrive a song 
For the intangible 
That has no mould or shape, 
From which there's no escape. 
 
It is not even a name, 
Yet is all constancy; 
Tried or untried, the same, 
It cannot part from me; 
A breath, yet as still 
As the established hill. 
 
It is not any thing, 
And yet all being is; 
Being, being, being, 
Its burden and its bliss. 
How can I ever prove 
What it is I love? 
 
This happy happy love 
Is sieged with crying sorrows, 
Crushed beneath and above 
Between todays and morrows; 
A little paradise 
Held in the world's vice. 
 
And there it is content 
And careless as a child, 
And in imprisonment 
Flourishes sweet and wild; 
In wrong, beyond wrong, 
All the world's day long. 
 
This love a moment known 
For what I do not know 
And in a moment gone 
Is like the happy doe 
That keeps its perfect laws 
Between the tiger's paws 
And vindicates its cause. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment