7.29.2022

our mutual self-deceit

I am reading 
    "From Hegel to Nietzsche; 
    German Spirit 
    During the r9th Century." 
The elevator operator 
is reading 
    "Christ 
    and Redemption of the Human 
    Spirit." 
Sequestered in the Swiss Alps 
a year before Heidegger was born 
Nietzsche wrote: 
    "The highest concepts" 
    of Western Metaphysics 
    are nothing more than 
    "the last wisps of evaporating 
    reality." 
Panhandling around the gates 
of Jerusalem 
2000 years before Heidegger was born 
Christ said: 
    "Turn the other" 
    evaporating 
    "cheek." 
But neither the elevator operator 
nor I 
empathize that we are terrified to face 
a world of ceaseless change 
and eternal Becoming. 
Eternal Becoming Gone. 
And so 
both of us eye the other's book 
with civilized smugness 
absolutely convinced 
of our individual approach— 
its Spirit of correctness. 
Perhaps the most that can be said for me 
is I 
armed with the knowledge of our mutual 
self-deceit 
can be less smug than he 
If I want to 
which 
I don't. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment