9.09.2022

what you called that yearning

Johnny, the kitchen sink has been clogged for days, some utensil 
    probably fell down there. 
And the Drano won't work but smells dangerous, and the crusty 
    dishes have piled up 
 
waiting for the plumber I still haven't called. This is the everyday 
    we spoke of. 
It's winter again: the sky's a deep headstrong blue, and the sunlight 
    pours through 
 
the open living room windows because the heat's on too high in 
    here, and I can't turn it off. 
For weeks now, driving, or dropping a bag of groceries in the 
    street, the bag breaking, 
 
I've been thinking: This is what the living do. And yesterday, 
    hurrying along those 
wobbly bricks in the Cambridge sidewalk, spilling my coffee 
    down
my wrist and sleeve, 
 
I thought it again, and again later, when buying a hairbrush: This 
    is it. 
Parking. Slamming the car door shut in the cold. What you called 
    that yearning. 
 
What you finally gave up. We want the spring to come and the 
    winter to pass. We want 
whoever to call or not call, a letter, a kiss—we want more and 
    more and then more of it. 
 
But there are moments, walking, when I catch a glimpse of myself 
    in the window glass, 
say, the window of the corner video store, and I'm gripped by a 
    cherishing so deep 
 
for my own blowing hair, chapped face, and unbuttoned coat that 
    I'm speechless: 
I am living, I remember you. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment