11.28.2022

every woman was her rival

My mother was glamorous in a way I knew I never 
would be. Velvet belt buckle. Mascara lash. Miniature 
crimson lipstick alive in the pocket of a purse. Her 
bow mouth was forever being twinned to a tissue. 
I never would wear that black windowpane see-
through blouse, mother-of-pearl buttons tracing the 
path down her spine. Every woman was her rival. You 
could say seriousness made me impossible, exactly 
the same way beauty made her. I understand men. 
Some like to have one woman in their arms, while a 
second one stands on a half-shell, both continuously 
shifting between being and being seen. Even as a 
child, I understood there were erotic fishhooks that 
one couldn't see. I learned to use a camera to see what 
I could be.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment