11.29.2022

her sleep was persistent, a deep and now annoying sleep

I woke to the sound of rain, and lay there 
    canceling 
parts of the day. Now I couldn't patch 
 
the leaking roof; something funny 
    about that, 
one of the temporary pleasures 
 
of the mind. My wife was still asleep. 
    I wanted to disturb her, 
tell her about the irony of rain 
 
and Saturday mornings and leaks 
    I put on my robe, 
went to the window. In the grayness 
 
there were different shades of gray. 
    I don't know why 
that seemed sad, or why 
 
I suddenly wanted to pull apart 
    the curtains, 
let some cruelty in. The rain 
 
was steady and this was spring. 
    There were things 
to be happy for, the flowers for example, 
 
the tree frogs and their alto songs. 
    I wanted to tell my wife 
about the grass as if she'd never 
 
heard of grass, the crazy speed at which 
    it grows in May, 
a few things I'd thought of and noticed 
 
since the night had passed. But her sleep 
    was persistent, 
a deep and now annoying sleep. 
 
I went downstairs. The cat was waiting 
    to be fed and had practiced 
certain gestures of affection, 
 
which I loved, so I'd open the can. 
    It was understood; 
if he'd purr and rub his head 
 
against mine, all anxiety would end, 
    the morning 
become languorous and his. 
 
I put the coffee on and broke the eggs. 
    It was the wooden spoon, 
the flame and me against the protoplasmic 
 
sprawl; we made the center hold. 
    I wanted my wife 
down here, I wanted her in some usual 
 
place doing some usual things. 
    What I had to say to her 
was so insignificant only she would understand. 
 
I sat down to eat. The rain picked up. 
    A man could die 
just like that. Or begin to slide. 
 
I started to clank the dishes, 
    make some noise. 
 
[Stephen Dunn {1939-2021} 'Urgencies', from Between Angels]

No comments:

Post a Comment