11.15.2022

I do not mind at all!

At dawn I sighed to see my hairs fall; 
At dusk I sighed to see my hairs fall. 
For I dreaded the time when the last lock should go. 
They are all gone and I do not mind at all! 
I have done with that cumbrous washing and getting dry; 
My tiresome comb for ever is laid aside. 
Best of all, when the weather is hot and wet, 
To have no top-knot weighing down on one's head! 
I put aside my messy cloth wrap; 
I have got rid of my dusty tasseled fringe. 
In a silver jar I have stored a cold stream, 
On my bald pate I trickle a ladle-full. 
Like one baptized with the Water of Buddha's Law, 
I sit and receive this cool, cleansing joy. 
Now I know why the priest who seeks Repose 
Frees his heart by first shaving his head. 
 
[Bai Juyi {772-846} ‘On his Baldness’ {trans. by Arthur Waley}, from Zen Poems {Everyman’s Library Pocket Poets}]

No comments:

Post a Comment