11.15.2022

you show me a beautiful woman, I'll show you a bloke who's sick of her shit

Philosophy and fishing, deception and violence, war and romance, and revenge and retribution....

River Why (2010)
The River Why
(2010) - "Based on the acclaimed novel, The River Why is the story of 20-year-old Gus Orviston, the Mozart of flyfishing, who leaves his big city home in rebellion from his parents to live in a secluded cabin on the banks of a wild river and do nothing but fish. 
    Instead of finding fishing bliss, his desolation drives him on a reluctant quest for self-discovery.  
    In the process, he meets an assortment of eccentric characters who help him on his journey to adulthood—including a quirky philosopher, a reporter, and a mysterious woman who will change his life forever. 
    Most of all, The River Why is a love story—the love of a man for the wilderness, and for a beautiful woman who comes to share it with him."
source: I borrowed the DVD from the public library
I watched it because: I've read the book, which was written by my favorite author, and wanted to see if the movie could measure up
IMDB: 5.6/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: N/A% Audience: 35%
my IMDB: 5/10
notable quote: "But a trout stream is only a trout stream when it's flowing between its own banks. At its own pace. In its own sweet way."
MPAA rating: PG-13
directed by: Matthew Leutwyler
my notes: good book, strange movie. The book is all over the place (as David James Duncan's writing is, always) but it flows, and is internally compelling. The movie is just disjointed and heedless, lurching awkwardly from family to fishing to romance to philosophy, and never quite finds its center. The romance is tedious and the family too pushy, but the philosophy and fishing are lovely. Worth seeing, if you're ready for it.
overall:  recommended with reservations

Killer Elite (2011)
Killer Elite
(2011) - "Loosely-based on a true story, Killer Elite pits two of the world's most elite operatives—Danny, a ruthless killer-for-hire; and Hunter, his longtime mentor—against the cunning leader of a secret society of former Special Air Service operatives. Covering the globe from Australia to Paris, London, and the Middle East, Danny and Hunter are plunged into a highly-dangerous game of revenge and deception—where things are not always what they appear to be."
source: I borrowed the DVD from the public library
I watched it because: I was in Jason Statham mode
IMDB: 6.4/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 28% Audience: 42%
my IMDB: 6/10
notable quote: "My old man used to say, 'life is like licking honey from a thorn'."
MPAA rating: R
directed by: Gary McKendry
my notes: fast, entertaining, wild, violent, and smarter than I'd expected. Statham is always a favorite. This is a good De Niro (which, as I see more of them, I realize is not guaranteed). The drawback is Clive Owen, who seems to have one facial expression (somewhere between murderous and constipated).
overall:  recommended

Water Diviner (2014)
The Water Diviner
(2014) - "An Australian man travels to Turkey after the Battle of Gallipoli to try to locate his three missing sons reported missing in action, where he forges a relationship with the beautiful Turkish woman who owns the hotel in which he stays. Holding onto hope, he must travel across the war-torn landscape with the help of a Turkish Officer, himself a veteran of the battles."
source: I borrowed the DVD from the public library
I watched it because: I'm in a Russell Crowe phase, and had not known that he was also a director
IMDB: 7.0/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 63% Audience: 60%
my IMDB: 9/10
notable quote: "Hope's a necessity where I come from."
MPAA rating: R
directed by: Crowe
my notes: a marvelous film. Hard to put into words why I liked it so much. The subject matter is peculiar, and fascinating. The story is broad, sweeping, but still finely honed. I often do other things while watching a movie, but this one had all of my attention from the start. It's also a visually beautiful film. Even the war scenes are stunning. The sets are intricate and gorgeous. The acting is top-notch. (My favorite was Cem Yilmaz as Sgt. Jemal.) I loved this movie.
overall: most highly recommended

Fast & Furious Presents : Hobbs & Shaw (2010)
Fast & Furious Presents : Hobbs & Shaw
(2010) - "Lawman Luke Hobbs and outcast Deckard Shaw form an unlikely alliance when a cyber-genetically enhanced villain threatens the future of humanity."
source: I borrowed the Blu-Ray from the public library
I watched it because: ...Statham AND the Rock!
IMDB: 6.5/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 68% Audience: 88%
my IMDB: 7/10
notable quote: "'No fucking way!'
    'This guy's a real asshole!'"
MPAA rating: PG-13
directed by: David Leitch
my notes: it should probably be mentioned that I haven't seen any of the Fast & Furious franchise before watching this. I wasn't anticipating the fantasy/science fiction aspects, which is just proof that I don't read the description before watching movies! 
    I liked it. Weird, engaging, and funny. The bald guys have good chemistry, the girl (Vanessa Kirby) is cool, and the villain is easy to root against but not just a stereotype of bad.
overall:  recommended

[the title quotation is from Killer Elite]

No comments:

Post a Comment