12.27.2022

as far as I'm concerned, progress peaked with frozen pizza

I'm in a strange movie mode, and watching a lot of them. It's hit-or-miss as always, and I'm finding some gems!

Die Hard 2 : Die Harder (1990)
Die Hard 2 : Die Harder
(1990) - "After the terrifying events in LA, John McClane (Bruce Willis) is about to go through it all again. A team of terrorists, led by Col. Stuart (William Sadler) is holding the entire airport hostage. The terrorists are planning to rescue a drug lord from justice. In order to do so, they have seized control of all electrical equipment affecting all planes. With no runway lights available, all aircraft have to remain in the air, with fuel running low, McClane will need to be fast."
source: I own the movie series on DVD
I watched it because: it's becoming a yearly tradition!
IMDB: 7.1/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 69% Audience: 70%
my IMDB: 7/10
notable quote: "'You look very familiar to me.'
    'I get that a lot. I've been on TV.'
    'Yeah. Me, too.'"
MPAA rating: R
directed by: Renny Harlin
my notes: Sadler is SO good as a bad guy! And his naked tai chi ch'üan...wow. This may be my favorite?
previously reviewed here
overall:  recommended

The Bishop's Wife (1947)
The Bishop's Wife
(1947) - "An Episcopal Bishop, Henry Brougham, has been working for months on the plans for an elaborate new cathedral which he hopes will be paid for primarily by a wealthy, stubborn widow. He is losing sight of his family and of why he became a churchman in the first place. Enter Dudley, an angel sent to help him. Dudley does help everyone he meets, but not necessarily in the way they would have preferred. With the exception of Henry, everyone loves him, but Henry begins to believe that Dudley is there to replace him, both at work and in his family's affections, as Christmas approaches."
source: streamed on Amazon Prime
I watched it because: I wanted something Christmasy without commercialized chipperness
IMDB: 7.6/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 85% Audience: 81%
my IMDB: 9/10
notable quote: "The main trouble is there are too many people who don't know where they're going and they want to get there too fast!"
MPAA rating: Not Rated [TV-G]
directed by: Henry Koster
my notes: wonderful! Genuine and uplifting without any schmaltz. One of those movies that renew one's faith in Christmas, kindness, and Cary Grant.
Academy Award winner: Best Sound, Recording
overall:  recommended

Pot O' Gold (1941)
Pot O'Gold
(1941) - "Jimmy, the owner of a failed music shop, goes to work with his uncle, the owner of a food factory. Before he gets there, he befriends an Irish family who happens to be his uncle's worst enemy because of their love for music and in-house band who constantly practices. Soon, Jimmy finds himself trying to help the band by getting them gigs and trying to reconcile the family with his uncle, an avid music hater, all while winning the heart of the beautiful Molly."
source: streamed on Amazon Prime
I watched it because: to tell the truth, it rolled up after The Bishop's Wife and I never bothered to turn it off
IMDB: 6.0/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: N/A% Audience: 54%
my IMDB: 5/10
notable quote: "'Wouldn't you like to give me a good swift kick before you go?'
    'Oh, no. It's all right. This has been fun here.'"
MPAA rating: approved
directed by: George Marshall
my notes: mayhem, like a horde of children run amok in a music store. A noisy, virtually plotless movie.
overall: marginally recommended

The Magic of Belle Isle (2012)
The Magic of Belle Isle
(2012) - "Monty Wildhorn, an alcoholic novelist of Westerns, has lost his drive. His nephew pushes him to summer in quiet Belle Isle. He begrudgingly befriends a newly single mom and her 3 girls who help him find the inspiration to write again."
source: streamed on Amazon Prime
I watched it because: I needed to see something happy
IMDB: 6.9/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 29% Audience: 62%
my IMDB: 8/10
notable quote: "'In the future, I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't walk my dog.'
    'He's Dave's dog.'
    'I am not claiming to be his biological father.'"
MPAA rating: PG
directed by: Rob Reiner
my notes: I liked this movie a great deal. The plot is a bit aimless and doofy, but it's a gentle slice of life stocked with strong, unique characters in a gorgeous setting.
overall: strongly recommended

[the title quotation is from Die Hard 2]

No comments:

Post a Comment