12.22.2022

the sheets you never crumpled fold up again

Here's your mistake back 
you never made it 
 
here's the cushion 
reshaping the couch 
 
your shadow slips under the threshold 
you never crossed it 
 
private paradise 
is just another storm splitting in space 
 
the sheets you never crumpled 
fold up again 
 
the words you spoke 
were never spoken 
 
when I walk into the library 
I'm not thinking of you 
 
when my heart drains like sand from a shoe 
I'm not thinking of you 
 
something was having trouble ending 
think of energy's mutations not of you 
 
yesterday I devirginized 
my own story 
 
stuck my fingers in and out of my own future 
until I broke its promise 
 
today I'm not thinking of you 
but of a souvenir tossed on the compost 
 
a smelly time unpetalling 
blackening rain and garbage 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment