1.02.2023

my father built the world

Reza's Restaurant, Chicago, 1997 
 
        the waiters milled about filling sumac 
                    shakers clearing away 
        plates of onion and radish 
        my father pointed to each person whispered 
Persian about the old man with the silver 
                    beard whispered Arab about the woman with 
    the eye mole Persian the teenager pouring 
water White the man on the phone 
                                                I was eight 
            still soft as a thumb and amazed 
I asked how he could possibly tell when 
                                                        they were all brown- 
            skin-dark-haired like us almost everyone 
                        in the restaurant looked like us 
                                            he smiled a proud 
                        little smile a warm nest 
            of lip said it's easy said we're just uglier 
 
                                he returned to his lamb but I was baffled hardly 
            touched my gheimeh I had big glasses and bad 
                        teeth I felt plenty Persian 
                                                                when the woman 
                            with light eyes and blonde-brown 
            hair left our check my father looked at me 
                        I said Arab? he shook his head laughed 
                            we drove home I grew up it took years to 
                        put together what my father 
            meant that day my father who listened 
                        exclusively to the Rolling Stones 
            who called the Beatles 
                                    a band for girls 
                        my father who wore only black even 
                                around the house whose umbrella 
                        made it rain whose arms could 
                                                cut chicken wire and make stew and 
                        bulged with old farm scars my father my 
father my father built 
            the world the first sound I ever heard 
                                    was his voice whispering the azan 
                                                in my right ear I didn't need anything 
                                                else my father cherished 
                                    that we were ugly and so being ugly 
                                                            was blessed I smiled with all my teeth 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment