1.03.2023

now I wouldn't be bored. Now I would know too much

All those times I was bored 
out of my mind. Holding the log 
while he sawed it. Holding 
the string while he measured, boards, 
distances between things, or pounded 
stakes into the ground for rows and rows 
of lettuces and beets, which I then (bored) 
weeded. Or sat in the back 
of the car, or sat still in boats, 
sat, sat, while at the prow, stern, wheel 
he drove, steered, paddled. It 
wasn't even boredom, it was looking, 
looking hard and up close at the small 
details. Myopia. The worn gunwales, 
the intricate twill of the seat 
cover. The acid crumbs of loam, the granular 
pink rock, its igneous veins, the sea-fans 
of dry moss, the blackish and then the greying 
bristles on the back of his neck. 
Sometimes he would whistle, sometimes 
I would. The boring rhythm of doing 
things over and over, carrying 
the wood, drying 
the dishes. Such minutiae. It's what 
the animals spend most of their time at, 
ferrying the sand, grain by grain, from their tunnels, 
shuffling the leaves in their burrows. He pointed 
such things out, and I would look 
at the whorled texture of his square finger, earth under 
the nail. Why do I remember it as sunnier 
all the time then, although it more often 
rained, and more birdsong? 
I could hardly wait to get 
the hell out of there to 
anywhere else. Perhaps though 
boredom is happier. It is for dogs or 
groundhogs. Now I wouldn't be bored. 
Now I would know too much. 
Now I would know. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment