2.15.2023

may I take your trident, sir?

A different set of movies, outside my usual realm.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
(1988) - "Con artist Lawrence Jamieson (Michael Caine) is a longtime resident of a luxurious coastal resort, where he enjoys the fruits of his deceptions -- that is, until a competitor, Freddy Benson (Steve Martin), shows up. When the new guy's lowbrow tactics impinge on his own work, Jamieson resolves to get rid of him. Confident of his own duplicitous talents, Jamieson challenges Benson to a winner-takes-all competition: whoever swindles their latest mark first can stay, while the other must leave town."
source: streamed on Amazon Prime
I watched it because: I haven't seen it in a while, and it was on my mind since a friend watched it last weekend
IMDB: 7.4/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 89% Audience: 84%
my IMDB: 8/10
notable quote: "I've got culture coming out of my ass."
MPAA rating: PG (surprising!)
directed by: Frank Oz
my notes: I love this one. Glenne Headly is perfect, and I love Michael Caine.
overall:  recommended

Tower Heist (2011)
Tower Heist
(2011) - "For more than 10 years, Josh Kovaks (Ben Stiller) has managed one of New York City's most luxurious and well-secured residences. One of the condo's most-notorious residents, Arthur Shaw (Alan Alda), is currently under house arrest for the theft of more than $2 billion from his investors—including Josh and his co-workers. Determined to reclaim the retirement funds Shaw stole from them, they turn to a petty crook named Slide (Eddie Murphy) to help them break into Shaw's home."
source: streamed on Amazon Prime
I watched it because: I wanted something funny, and didn't want to have to work too hard
IMDB: 6.2/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 67% Audience: 48%
my IMDB: 7/10
notable quote: "He's been arrested a bunch of times. He pays no income taxes. He's got 2 Doberman Pinschers. So let's show him some respect, OK?"
MPAA rating: R
directed by: Brett Ratner
my notes: It's way better than it sounds. I laughed out loud more than once. Matthew Broderick is really good, and I always like Michael Peña.
overall:  recommended

Definitely, Maybe (2008)
Definitely, Maybe
(2008) - "When Will decides to tell his daughter the story of how he met her mother, he discovers that a second look at the past might also give him a second chance at the future."
source: streamed on Amazon Prime
I watched it because: I wanted a quiet movie for background while I did something else
IMDB: 7.1/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 70% Audience: 72%
my IMDB: 7/10
notable quote: "'The human heart has hidden treasures, in secret kept, in silence sealed. The thought, the hopes, the dreams, the pleasures, whose charms were broken if revealed.'"
MPAA rating: PG-13
directed by: Adam Brooks
my notes: undeniably sweet. I'm not a huge fan of anyone in the cast, though, so I didn't get deeply into it.
overall:  recommended

[the title quotation is from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels]

No comments:

Post a Comment