4.05.2023

I held my breath as we do sometimes to stop time when something wonderful has touched us

Oh, to love what is lovely, and will not last! 
    What a task
        to ask 
 
of anything, or anyone, 
 
yet it is ours, 
    and not by the century or the year, but by the hours. 
 
One fall day I heard 
    above me, and above the sting of the wind, a sound 
 
I did not know, and my look shot upward; it was 
 
a flock of snow geese, winging it 
    faster than the ones we usually see, 
and, being the color of snow, catching the sun 
 
so they were, in part at least, golden. I 
 
held my breath 
as we do 
sometimes 
to stop time 
when something wonderful 
has touched us 
 
as with a match, 
which is lit, and bright, 
but does not hurt 
in the common way, 
 
but delightfully, 
as if delight 
were the most serious thing 
you ever felt. 
 
The geese 
flew on, 
I have never 
seen them again. 
 
Maybe I will, someday, somewhere. 
Maybe I won't. 
It doesn't matter. 
What matters 
is that, when I saw them, 
I saw them 
as through the veil, secretly, joyfully, clearly. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment