4.15.2023

it trips me up

My attitude about poetry is somewhat 
this, I should be doing something 
that pays more money, 
I love comfort, bright things for myself 
and the ability to splurge on people I 
like, to be able to dislike 
people who have bucks 
 
That is the poetry of money. 
Money is a friend, 
a comfy chair when you need to sit, 
free walking. Buying rides. 
Zoom in on this one. 
Avoid that one in a helicopter ride 
around Australia. Bury 
my sorrows in an incredible meal. 
You like that star. I buy you that car. 
Never drunk but gliding on the 
        ethers of everyone's 
            drunkenness. 
            It trips me up, 
my lightweight love of cash, 
        it clicks on my teeth. 
            My words jingle. 
 
[Eileen Myles {1949- } 'An Attitude about Poetry', from I Must be Living Twice]

No comments:

Post a Comment