7.24.2023

I like a lot of semen - always have

I've been away. Emotionally, spiritually, practically--away. Kind of starting to get back to where I want to be. 

Have a new gig. Actually, numerous new gigs. I'm working as a contract attorney, getting hired on document review projects as they become available. It is not the most steady work, and can be desperately boring at times, but mostly is interesting and reasonably well paid. Its sporadic nature has resulted in some odd schedules and lots of missed opportunities to see other people, though, which is a big trade-off. Work to live, not live for work.

Haven't been watching movies lately. Just got out of the spirit and the habit, in favor of reading a lot over the last few months. It feels good to read, yet at times it lets me be inside my own head too much. Movies can be less long-term immersive. Watched a couple yesterday and am planning to go back and review some others that I'd seen a while ago.

Thanks to anyone who's checked in. Thanks for your patience.
 
It's Complicated (2009)
It's Complicated
(2009) - "When brought together at a family event, two exes find themselves oddly attracted to each other after ten years of divorce. Although the couple think that this affair will stay in a different state, it brings itself back to their own city and disrupts their personal lives. While the couple still maintain other romances, they cannot help but to continue with their affair."
source: streamed
I watched it because: my companion had seen it before and recommended it
IMDB: 6.5/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 59% Audience: 60%
my IMDB: 7/10
notable quote: "'Why do you need to label everything?'
    'Because that's what this is!'"
MPAA rating: R
directed by: Nancy Meyers
my notes: undeniably well-acted, with a good script and all that jazz - I wanted to like this movie, but.... it's complicated, right? This movie hits ALL kinds of feelings about man/woman relationships, emotions (and lack of), unintentional hurt, miscommunication, and sex. That's a lot for a 2 hour comedy! Meryl Streep's Jane is a wistful, reasonably successful, genuinely appealing woman. Her ex-husband Jake, played uncannily well by Alec Baldwin, is a shallow-thinking, hedonistic, yet lovely man whose affections are, let's say, inconstant. Steve Martin's Adam, a rival for Jane's interest, is sweet and low-key, and Jake's current wife is portrayed as a bitchy strident stereotype by the striking (why is that rarely a wholehearted compliment?) Lake Bell. 
    I found it personally disconcerting, though completely engaging. It gave me a lot to think about (probably more than was intended or "normal" for this type of film). And it made me want a chocolate croissant.
overall: recommended

[the title quotation is from It's Complicated]

No comments:

Post a Comment