11.14.2023

so your family is, like, rich?

I've been into old films lately, several black and whites and some classics. It's good to get a reminder of how things used to be done.

Dressed to Kill (1946)
Dressed to Kill
(1946) - "Sherlock Holmes is intrigued when Dr. Watson's friend, Julian 'Stinky' Emery, visits and tells them of a strange robbery at his flat the previous night. Stinky is an avid collector of music boxes and has several quite expensive pieces in his vast collection. The previous night, someone broke into his flat and knocked him unconscious when he tried to intervene. All they took however was a simple wooden music box he had bought at auction that day for a mere £2. The box was one of three available for sale and as Holmes and Watson begin to trace the other purchasers, it becomes apparent that someone will stop at nothing, including murder, to retrieve all three. When Holmes learns the identity of the music box maker, he is convinced it contains directions to the retrieval of something very valuable that the government has kept from the public."
source: streamed on Amazon Prime
I watched it because: I'm looking for a good movie to watch with my parents for Thanksgiving (a holiday tradition), and this series is a possibility
IMDB: 6.8/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 80% Audience: 64%
my IMDB: 9/10
notable quote: "It's a mistake to accept something that's true merely because it's obvious."
MPAA rating: [TV-PG]
directed by: Roy William Neill
my notes: Basil Rathbone is Sherlock Holmes. All the others are imitations and revisionings of this one perfect role.
overall:  recommended

Beach Blanket Bingo (1965)
Beach Blanket Bingo (1965) - "In the fourth of the highly successful Frankie and Annette beach party movies, a motorcycle gang led by Eric Von Zipper kidnaps singing star Sugar Kane managed by Bullets, who hires sky-diving surfers Steve and Bonnie from Big Drop for a publicity stunt. With the usual gang of kids and a mermaid named Lorelei."
source: streamed on Amazon Prime
I watched it because: I wanted a comedy, and this popped up in my recommendations
IMDB: 5.6/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 73% Audience: 52%
my IMDB: 3/10
notable quote: "Now that's what I call a healthy girl!"
MPAA rating: [TV-PG]
directed by: William Asher
my notes: dumb, grossly sexist, and purposeless
overall: not  recommended

Rich and Strange a.k.a. East of Shanghai (1931)
Rich and Strange
a.k.a. East of Shanghai (1931) - "Accountant Fred Hill (Henry Kendall) and his wife, Emily (Joan Barry), lead lives of tedious regimentation—until a kindly uncle gives them a small fortune. Fred quits his job and they race off to Paris before embarking on a world cruise. Aboard ship and caught up in a luxurious new lifestyle, the Hills begin affairs—he with a mysterious princess (Betty Amann) and she with the suave Cmdr. Gordon (Percy Marmont)—that may drain their wallets and tear their marriage apart."
source: streamed on Amazon Prime
I watched it because: I'm always curious to see Hitchcock films
IMDB: 5.7/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 75% Audience: 30%
my IMDB: 6/10
notable quote: "I say, it's a very lucky thing we're not in love, isn't it?"
MPAA rating: Not Rated
directed by: Alfred Hitchcock
my notes: not the best movie I've ever seen, but it's not exactly bad, either. Quite detailed, it's the kind of story that has to be watched closely in order to follow. There's a nice prevailing theme and message.
overall: marginally recommended

Crazy Rich Asians (2018)
Crazy Rich Asians (2018) - "Chinese-American New Yorker Rachel Chu (Constance Wu) travels to Singapore with her boyfriend Nick Young (Henry Golding) to attend his best friend's wedding and discovers that he comes from one of Asia's most wealthy, prominent families. A commoner among the social elite, Rachel becomes a target for single women vying for Nick's attention, as well as for his judgmental mother Eleanor (Michelle Yeoh), who wants nothing more than to break them up."
source: streamed on Amazon Prime
I watched it because: a friend saw it and highly recommended that I see it, too
IMDB: 6.9/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: N/A% Audience: N/A%
my IMDB: 8/10
notable quote: "Your skin is so dry it's hurting my face."
MPAA rating: PG-13
directed by: Jon M. Chu
my notes: excellent movie. Funny, sweet, heartbreaking. Gorgeous cinematography. Phenomenal props and costumes. I liked it very much.
overall: quite recommended

[the title quotation is from Crazy Rich Asians]

No comments:

Post a Comment