4.25.2024

it is the wilderness in the mind, the desert wastes in the heart through which one wanders lost and a stranger

psychic readings
If given the opportunity, would you have a psychic reading? 
    absolutely, in a heartbeat. I've always been interested in seeing what someone else can see - not just "psychics" but insightful friends, teachers, and family, too. A coworker at the library was deeply into that sort of thing, and offered a couple of times to take me with her when she went the next time, but it never happened. I'm sure I will do it, someday. 
 
5k
What's the last thing you [searched online]? 
    "virtual 5ks 2024", and I do not use the Big Bad G any longer, if I can avoid it. Too many questionable business practices for me to feel safe there.
 
Have you lost contact with someone you wish you could reconnect with? 
    yes. A few years ago - maybe 2 years after Chris died - I went through a long, dark depression. I didn't realize until maybe 18 months into it, just how deep it was. I'd been listless about keeping up with anyone, and really only stayed in touch with people who forced it on me. That's not to say that the people I lost contact with had somehow earned it by not forcing their friendship on me, but to try to explain how dark that time was. I also pushed some people away, because being by myself was "safer" (friends die, after all) and because I couldn't sort it out for myself, much less to someone who cared about me.
    When I started to come out of it (with the help of a trusted doctor and a couple of powerful medications), I could see some of the destruction that had occurred. Depression, to me, feels like a weird sort of arrogance, where I feel bad (the depression itself) and also feel like I've both caused and deserved the illness and the accompanying losses. 
    I wish I could go to those people (a couple of whom have read the blog in the past) and explain, apologize, and try to start anew. But I'm pretty sure that disappearing and failing to try and sort it out right away afterward has fucked that up irretrievably.     
 
puffy tail
Which tailless animal would be most awesome with a tail? 
    humans! I would love to have a luxuriant, long-furred tail. I would switch it back and forth when angry, puff it up when I'm scared, and wrap it over my eyes when napping. It would be wondrous.
 
What's the worst thing you've had stuck in your teeth? 
    oh man, that's an easy one: dental floss! A couple of my teeth are extra close together, so flossing can be arduous. Once, while attempting to do that, the floss snapped. I didn't think anything of it until I realized that a bit of it had remained behind after I removed the two long parts from my mouth. It was excruciating. There was no flossing it out, in part because I was afraid of breaking another length of floss and making it worse. There was no picking it out, as it was far too small to be grasped with fingers or even tweezers. It did sort of work its way out, but not until my jaw was aching, gums swollen, and frustration was at Pro level.
 
godawful unflattering jeans
What's a good example of "just because it's popular doesn't mean it's good"? 
    so many things! Arby's roast beef, pretty much anything currently on television, high-waist jeans (particularly those that are also above ankle length with unfinished hems), hot/spicy snacks...
 
If you could snap your fingers and be any height, would you choose to become taller or shorter? 
    I'd elect to be 2 inches taller
 
Do you always walk around supermarket aisles in the same order? 
    I haven't done regular grocery shopping in several years. The advent of delivered groceries made me very, very happy. I spend less on groceries (even with the addition of an annual "membership" and a tip for each order), buy less crap (no impulse buys!) and have remained healthier than I might've otherwise.
 
What childhood award or prize are you most proud of winning? 
    my childhood wasn't about winning prizes or awards. I participated in lots of things, and did well in some of them, but rarely came in first. That's good enough for me.
 
What's your favorite Clint Eastwood movie? 
    Heartbreak Ridge (1986, reviewed here), or In the Line of Fire (1993, reviewed here), or Blood Work (2002, reviewed here). Maybe not his best, most critically-acclaimed films, but the ones that particularly resonate for me.
 
[from 3000 Unique Questions about Me; the title quotation is by Anne Morrow Lindbergh, from Gift from the Sea]

No comments:

Post a Comment