4.20.2024

she's the cause of false beliefs

My Ego 
 
is a dented suit of armor, a designer gown 
with grimy lining. She's the cause of false beliefs. 
She fucks up my ability to love. She's prickly 
and tender as an artichoke heart. She proposes 
to me so frequently I can't hear other people 
speak. She's a self-anointed guide who materializes 
at my side with a flourish of trumpets and a bullhorn. 
She's a forged love letter, a jailer impersonating a 
friend. She's a series of flashbacks in which I'm 
both victim and hero. I try to bribe her into exile, 
but she calls herself my servant and falls weeping 
at my feet. I'm forever banishing her, this mistress 
of disguises, even as she clambers back into my lap, 
begging my pardon and getting all kissy with me, 
grabbing my hand and jamming it down her blouse. 
 
[Amy Gerstler {1956- },'My Ego', from Index of Women]

No comments:

Post a Comment