10.09.2024

often a sweetness has come and changed nothing in the world except the way I stumbled through it

Just when it has seemed I couldn’t bear 
one more friend 
waking with a tumor, one more maniac 
with a perfect reason, often a sweetness 
has come 
and changed nothing in the world 
except the way I stumbled through it, 
for a while lost 
in the ignorance of loving 
someone or something, the world shrunk 
to mouth-size, 
hand-size, and never seeming small. 
I acknowledge there is no sweetness 
that doesn’t leave a stain, 
no sweetness that’s ever sufficiently sweet .... 
Tonight a friend called to say his lover 
was killed in a car 
he was driving. His voice was low 
and guttural, he repeated what he needed 
to repeat, and I repeated 
the one or two words we have for such grief 
until we were speaking only in tones. 
Often a sweetness comes 
as if on loan, stays just long enough 
to make sense of what it means to be alive, 
then returns to its dark 
source. As for me, I don’t care 
where it’s been, or what bitter road 
it’s traveled 
to come so far, to taste so good. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment