7.27.2026

he's not a bit like you. / And you're not a bit like you. I mean you aren't what you seem to be.

Average rating: 6.6

Star Trek: Generations [i.e. Star Trek 7] (1994)
Star Trek: Generations [i.e. Star Trek 7] (1994) - "Captain Jean-Luc Picard
faces personal loss while confronting a scientist whose obsession with recapturing paradise threatens millions of lives. At the same time, the film passes the torch from the original Star Trek crew to The Next Generation, giving two iconic captains an opportunity to share the screen. More reflective than action-oriented, it explores regret, purpose, and the temptation to escape the pain of ordinary life." 
length: 1h, 58m  |  source: my Blu-ray  |  directed by David Carson  |  why I watched: I've seen it several times, but haven't reviewed
IMDb: 6.6/10  |  Rotten Tomatoes: 48% / 57% Audience  |  my IMDb: 7/10  |  MPAA: PG
tone & texture: reflective, crisp & modern
notable quote: "'I hate this! It is revolting!'
    'More?' 
    'Please!'"
my notes: it's not the best movie ever, or even the best in the franchise, this is the movie version of "jack of all trades, and master of none." If it were just about Data's emotion chip, or saying goodbye to Kirk and Scotty and Chekov, or Picard's tragedy, or Soran's quest—or any of the half dozen other stories being covered—then it would be a nice, tight, entertaining movie. Instead, it's underdeveloped and scattershot, playing like a Best Of television episode rather than a feature film. Still and all, I enjoyed it, and will see it again. These are my guys, after all!
if this movie were a food it would be:  appetizer platter. There's a lot of tasty things to try, but not enough of any of them. 
themes: tradition v. change, found family, identity
overall:  recommended
 
Walking Tall (2004)
Walking Tall (2004) - "After returning to his hometown, a former Special Forces soldier finds that corruption, drugs, and intimidation have transformed the community he remembers. Refusing to look the other way, he becomes sheriff and wages a blunt, personal campaign to restore order. Lean, fast-moving, and unapologetically old-fashioned, the film updates the classic 'one good man versus a broken town' story with modern action and a surprising amount of heart." 
length: 1h, 26m  |  source: my DVD  |  directed by Kevin Bray  |  why I watched: it's another film I've seen before but did not review
IMDb: 6.2/10  |  Rotten Tomatoes: 27% / 59% Audience  |  my IMDb: 7/10  |  MPAA: PG-13 (LOL)
tone & texture: gritty, high-color/stylized
notable quote: "Casinos are all the same. Room full of fake boobs and real assholes."
my notes: before I say anything else: Johnny Knoxville is the heart of this movie, and he is wonderful in the role of Ray. He's a really good actor. 
     I went into it hoping for action and heroism, and that's what I got. I didn't go in looking for cinematic brilliance, and so I wasn't disappointed.
if this movie were a food it would be: Pizza Hut buffet. A variety, but all within a small range. Meaty, salty, flavorful, not at all nutritious, and weirdly enthralling.
themes: justice, found family, courage
overall:  recommended

Secret Beyond the Door (1947)
Secret Beyond the Door (1947) - "After a whirlwind romance, a wealthy New York woman marries a mysterious architect and follows him to his sprawling estate, where she discovers that her new husband harbors unsettling secrets behind a series of locked rooms. As suspicion, fear, and fascination become increasingly intertwined, she struggles to determine whether the danger lies within the house, within her husband, or within her own imagination. Fritz Lang blends Gothic mystery with psychological drama, creating an atmosphere of mounting unease in which shadows and silence are often as revealing as dialogue. The result is a stylish, unsettling character study that rewards close attention to mood as much as plot." 
length: 1h, 39m  |  source: my DVD  |  directed by Fritz Lang  |  why I watched: it was discounted by my favorite purveyor of unexpected movies, and seemed like something I might like
IMDb: 6.6/10  |  Rotten Tomatoes: 65% / 54% Audience  |  my IMDb: 6/10  |  MPAA: Approved
tone & texture: unsettling, noir shadows
notable quote: "I'm marrying a stranger, a man I don't know at all."
my notes: the comparisons to Rebecca (1940, reviewed here) are apt, but only as a first step. Secret is smaller and tighter. Beautifully framed and lit, with spectacular shadows and depth. I didn't exactly love the acting, and the music was 50º beyond distracting, but overall I think this is one to watch. 
if this movie were a food it would be:  there is a sandwich at a local deli called Don't Be a Chicken: Chicken breast, smothered in bacon aioli, Swiss cheese and lettuce served on ciabatta roll. Despite the deceptively simple description, it offers intricate and layered flavors. 
themes: identity, isolation
overall:  mildly recommended

The Meg (2018)
The Meg (2018) - "During a deep-sea rescue mission, an experienced diver is called back into service when a scientific expedition encounters a creature thought to have been extinct for millions of years. As the enormous megalodon begins threatening both the research team and the unsuspecting public above, survival depends on a combination of expertise, nerve, and increasingly improbable plans. Mixing creature feature, disaster movie, and action spectacle, The Meg embraces its outlandish premise with a straight face and a healthy appreciation for larger-than-life entertainment." 
length: 1h, 53m  |  source: my DVD  |  directed by Jon Turteltaub  |  why I watched: I'm on a Statham kick lately
IMDb: 5.7/10  |  Rotten Tomatoes: 47% / 44% Audience  |  my IMDb: 6/10  |  MPAA: PG-13
tone & texture: straightforward hyper-glossy action
notable quote: "Chew on this, you ugly bastard."
my notes: it's no Jaws, for sure. (That is a required line for every review of this movie.) It is entertaining, legitimately startling, and undeniably fun. The romance bits are unconvincing, and the overlong scene of happy beach-goers stretched too thin. Still and all, I liked the action and the drama. (And this is the kind of movie where "6 1/2" or "a low 7" would be a more accurate numeric rating, to differentiate it from the Statham redemption/revenge films that I so appreciate.)
if this movie were a food it would be: Funyons. Lots of people don't enjoy them, they're kind of an acquired taste, too much is WAY too much, they sometimes leave an aftertaste of onion-like chemicals—and I have always liked them anyway. 
themes: courage, sacrifice, found family
overall:  recommended
 
A Double Life (1947)
A Double Life (1947) - "A celebrated stage actor renowned for his immersive performances accepts the role of Shakespeare's Othello, only to find that the emotional intensity of the character begins to seep into his everyday life. As the boundaries between performance and reality grow increasingly blurred, those closest to him struggle to distinguish the man from the role he has created. Mixing psychological drama with noir sensibilities, the film explores the intoxicating power of identity, obsession, and artistic ambition." 
length: 1h, 44m  |  source: my DVD  |  directed by George Cukor  |  why I watched: I've liked some of Cukor's other films, and this premise intrigued me.
IMDb: 6.9/10  |  Rotten Tomatoes: 88% / 66% Audience  |  my IMDb: 7/10  |  MPAA: Approved
tone & texture: unsettling, noir shadows
notable quote: "'Say, what's so funny?' 
    'It's nothing. It's a private joke between me and me.'"
my notes: this film distressed me more than I'd anticipated it might. The veil between person, actor, and character must have been very thin for Ronald Colman, playing Anthony John. The idea of walking up to the border of this kind of madness would terrify me. I almost had a hard time getting into the story because I was so fixated on how it would feel to be involved. 
    Edmond O'Brien played Bill Friend with quiet dignity and integrity. Shelley Winters, as always, made her role crackle and spit (that's a good thing, trust me). With the caveat that I found it psychologically intense, this is one to watch again some other day. (Maybe during daylight hours.)  
if this movie were a food it would be: espresso on an empty stomach
themes: identity, isolation
Academy Awards: winner x2 (and nominee x2) 
overall:  recommended, albeit with some reserve
 
[the title quotation is from Secret Beyond the Door]

No comments:

Post a Comment