6.17.2004

Thursday Threesome #253

::Things that go bump in the night::

Onesome: Things that go- What's the strangest contraption you've ever had to use to get from point A to point B?
The Miami MetroMover, probably. The thing just sounds rickety and weird. The escalator at the Bethesda Metro stop (Wisconsin Ave. at Montgomery Lane in Bethesda, MD) on the Washington, D.C. Metro Line is pretty freaky - it's the world's longest (tallest?) escalator. A boy who had a crush on me in high school took me for a ride in his dad's 6-seater (?) plane, too, but that's a story for another day.

Twosome: Bump- Have you ever hurt yourself doing something you weren't supposed to be doing?
When I was 9, maybe, I was home alone on New Year's Eve and naturally couldn't be content with eating Doritos and drinking Dr. Pepper until I burst, so I had to...rollerskate in the house, something which was strictly forbidden. After turning up the volume on Dick Clark's Rockin' Eve, in the process of skating backward (something that challenged me during the best of circumstances and on the smoothest of surfaces--textured carpeting not being one of them) I lost my balance and, flailing madly, slammed ass-first into the edge of the couch. Bruised my tailbone. To say "bruised" implies something more mild than this, though. I landed 100% on my microscopically small tailbone, which was then forced through all of my internal organs and into my throat. My whole back, my butt, and my thighs turned black and blue (and yellow - it was lovely!). I couldn't sit, or stand, or lay down comfortably for a month. And I couldn't tell anyone what had happened, see, because I'd be admitting to having done it in the first place.
    The real beauty of this story is that I'd won a radio contest that required me to go the station to retrieve my prize. Conveniently, since I was a child, my brother had received a Christmas gift that he needed to return in the same town. Hmm, if he was old enough to drive, I couldn't have been 9. I must've been at least 12. Fuck. That makes me sound decidedly more idiotic. Anyway, the day after this all happened, Big Brother drove us to the big city to do our errands. In his Jeep Wrangler. On the bumpy, beat-to-shit-by-winter northern highway. I thought I was going to die.
    Man, that story hurts.

Threesome: In the night- Do you believe in things that go bump in the night or anything supernatural?
I'm not exactly sure how to answer this. My first response is that there are enough things to be afraid of that are real, and that I don't borrow trouble. But I am prone to seeing signs sometimes. So I'll say, sometimes, in some ways, maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment