9.01.2004

Milestone --er, not so much.

    I was going to make a big deal out of my 250th post. Whoops, this is the 253rd. I'm not sure how that happened. Prehaps I'm an airhead.
    If today's a real indication of how September's going to be, I'm going to move to a cave. No, that's not entirely accurate. It was a half-assed day. I'll explain. I got to work early, as there was no traffic. [Good thing.] The first thing I heard, upon talking to my friend J.B., was that she'd unexpectedly had to have her dog euthanized prior to coming to work. [Obviously, a bad thing.] A box of personal orders arrived, and they weren't all mine. [Good thing. Personal orders are books that staff members order for themselves using the library's discount, and I...overdo it some, to put it mildly. The wholesale cost of the books is deducted from one's biweekly pay, so it's almost like not paying at all. Emphasis on the "almost." I've spent nearly 4 digits already this calendar year.] I was processing and after slipping something into a file drawer, closed the drawer on my thumb nail, nearly crying because it hurt so badly. [Duh.] Every time I caught up on the blogs (as a way of pulling my brain out of the numbness induced by processing, which is a job for a goddamned monkey) there were new posts or comments upon which to comment in my usual rota of blogs to read. In particular, the Sleek/Slap/Ponytail/Manager/Stab-myself-in-the-eye-with-a-pencil thread kept me laughing for most of the day. [Very good thing.] I was processing, when I wasn't laughing, for most of the day. [Bad thing.]
    I could go on. Suffice it to say, though, that it was a flip-floppy, half-assed day. And I'm rather grateful that it's nearly done. Although I've one more tiny thing to say, toothpick in an oil-drum as it is. If today does, by some chance, remote as it is, happen to be someone's birthday, as it was alleged to be--and by "someone" I'm implying someone who is at present or has at some memorable time been close to me--I can do nothing but wish you happy. I miss you. But you knew that.
    And the rest of you: seize the day. (They become cliches because they make sense, you know.)

No comments:

Post a Comment