10.02.2004

Saturday Quickie

    I've crossed the psychological barrier--I have 20 bottles of OPI nail polish. See?
    Financial conundrum: I have, ever since I can remember, wanted a J.Peterman Counterfeit Mail-bag. It's a sort of messenger bag, about 15 x 12 x 7, baseball-glove leather. Thought I'd get one for myself for college graduation, but didn't have the money then. At law school graduation (and notification that I'd passed the bar), they'd discontinued them (damn it). I checked the catalog and the website each time I had the disposable cash or a reasonably important event for which I could rationalize buying the thing, but they hadn't offered them.
    So I ordered the Basic Bag from Coach, which arrived on Monday. And I love it. It's the nicest, most adult thing I've ever owned: gorgeous leather, beautiful fittings, large enough for (today) my wallet, mobile, shitloads of paper scraps, jump drive, CD [Evanesence, Fallen], and keys. If I had smaller sunglasses they'd fit in there, too, but my Oakleys require a case that's too damned big. The purse is my graduation present to myself, some recompense for 10 years of mental anguish paid out to the grad school.
    Guess what J.Peterman's now offering? Yup. The bag: here. The dilemma--should I order it, having desired it literally for the last 15 or so years of my life, on and off, and within reason, being able to afford it? Or should I exercise some fiscal restraint, having just purchased a [or an, again, relatively] ridiculously expensive leather bag, not needing a new bag (although my trusty Lands' End bag is biting the dust and will need to be replaced within the year, I'd guess)? Complicating matters is the laptop bag that I bought maybe 2 months ago, not overly functional for general use but in a pinch it would work (it's a very girly Kenneth Cole). And my subtle shift from brown to black in most of my leather. And my incipient economic difficulties.
    I'm not sure what to do. I want it, but I shouldn't want it.
    I've got to take some time to get some things in order, and soon. A lot of this is more difficult than I'd ever thought.
    Update: I nearly forgot! We had two visitors to the workplace in the last couple of weeks. Four-legged visitors. Damned cute.
    Owen:

And Weenie:

    You've just got to love the casual workplace!

No comments:

Post a Comment