12.31.2005

cold and dark

The headache has abated (I can feel its 'outline', and since it was there for nearly four days I am still reluctant to say that it is completely gone). What remains is a sense of what can only be described as ennui. I woke before my alarm, ate breakfast in the relative dark, checked my email and the blogs, and dealt with my first spam comment in a long time (Los Ang*les Sports Ar*na tickets--an odd match for me and the last post, I thought). Responded to a comment to a post that I wrote in June. All along, my hands were cold and my nose a little sniffly, because my heat hadn't yet launched its "wake" mode; I have a programmable thermostat and on Saturdays I apparently have decided that I should wake at 9:30. And I am too sleepy, stupid, or stubborn to bump up the temp on my own.

Now the furnace is blasting away happily, my fingers are starting to defrost, and I'm contemplating both the orange juice that I poured a half hour ago (it's too cold for my filling-laden teeth straight out of the fridge) and the tea that I began steeping a half hour ago (I like it strong enough to stand a knife in). There is a pile of laundry to fold, lying in the huge blue chair to my left. There are gifts to be wrapped on the floor near the coffee table. There are cards to be written on the dining room table (yargh--neverending goddamned cards). I should try to get to the grocery store and Lowe's before noon and it's already quarter 'til 10. It snowed yesterday, all in a big clump. It would have been really beautiful if I hadn't been out in it, but it was raining (hard) when I drove back to work from lunch. It started snowing while I was at work. By the time I came out at 5:00, it was snowing in balls. I helped clean D's car, then started on mine. I'd worn my lighter jacket and no gloves, but I always have extra gloves and stuff in the trunk (Minnesota survival training at its best). It took 20 minutes to get home: 4.5 blocks in 20 minutes. The roads are clear and my car windows aren't even too bad, but it still doesn't look too pleasant.

I wonder what my problem is? I'm not usually so whiny. My life just isn't so bad, but I sure am finding a lot about which to complain. Maybe I need a vacation.

(Yes, I see the irony.)

Happy new year, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment