12.28.2005

like I was here all along

I'm back. Didn't blog while I was gone because very little happened that was blogworthy. It was a sleeping-reading-dozing-staring out the window vacation. I can honestly say I'm glad to be home. And now, in lieu of real content, I bring you...tons of memes.

Your Christmas Stocking Will Be Filled With Little Wrapped Presents

You've made Santa a very happy fellow this year.
Don't worry - what happens at the North Pole stays at the North Pole!

You Were a Little Naughty This Year!

While you're not likely to greet Santa with sucker punch...
He's still not too jolly about coming to your house.
You might get a small token from Mr. Claus
Like some detox pills for your liver.


'05, Encapsulated
(via Cat).
  1. What did you do in 2005 that you’d never done before? Sort of made plans with 2 different guys for New Year's Eve.
    Drove around Chicago without the first goddamned clue where I was going.
    Fell in love as an adult.
  2. Did you keep your New Years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
    I didn't make any (under advisement from a good friend). I don't think I ever will again.
  3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
    Nope. About 10 of my cousins did, though.
  4. Did anyone close to you die?
    No. Thank God.
  5. What countries did you visit? None other than tiny bits of the one that I'm in.
  6. What would you like to have in 2006 that you lacked in 2005?
    Sustained bouts of sanity.
    Friends who do what they say they'll do.
    The opportunity to earn more than I owe.
  7. What dates from 2005 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? I think that I should probably answer this question in the way in which it was intended, rather than the more silly (and revealing) way that I read it the first time....
    1-1-05: it wasn't a disaster. In fact, it was really nice.
    2-27-05: What's that cliched quote from A Tale of Two Cities?
    4-12-05: coulda, woulda, shoulda...
    6-18-05: Dewey Decimal Ball.
    7-3-05: I didn't realize what it would mean to just be there.
    8-28-05: Cubs game, huge fight.
    10-31-05: The flurry of poetry with Steve from CO
    11-whatever-05: Thanksgiving, in more ways than one
  8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
    Professionally, it was the completion of my Collection Development class. Goodbye, little monkey!
    Personally, it was walking the road alone for a while, to figure out some things that needed to be figured out. Setting things straight, getting my brain right, and renewing my faith in myself.
  9. What was your biggest failure?
    Johnnie.
  10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
    Just the above.
  11. What was the best thing you bought? For myself? Hmmm...probably my dining room table & chairs, though my khaki pants are a close second. And then there's that ridiculous VS bra....
  12. Whose behavior merited celebration? The work friends. The ones who put up with me being a complete psycho flake through everything, who propped me up when I needed it, and who celebrated with me when I finally came out the other side. Cat included.
  13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? My own, and a couple of friends who could've been better friends and people.
  14. Where did most of your money go? Rent and student loans. They easily eat 4/5 of my take-home pay. (You do the math.) Beyond that, BLTs with Dean.
  15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
    Heh. Um. Making jewelry?
  16. What song will always remind you of 2005?
    "I'm Still Here" by Vertical Horizon. It isn't the "theme song to the year" or anything, but it will always bring me back to this point, I think.
  17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
    (a) Happier or Sadder? Happier. Waaaaaaay happier. Can I say that again? Waaaaaaay happier.
    (b) Thinner or Fatter? Thinner. I've settled, I think, into a reasonable size. About 10-ish pounds above my college graduation weight. I'm satisfied with it. More curvy than anything, really, and it's a look I kind of like.
    (c) Richer or Poorer? Poorer. Funny to say that since I was, what, 17 days divorced at this point a year ago? But yeah, the difference is striking.
  18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Play.
  19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Work.
  20. How will you be spending Christmas?
    Christmas Eve: I was at the beck and call of my parents. Last time that'll happen.
    Christmas Day: The 'rents and I sat around and read, played CDs, yapped, and eventually watched Catch Me if You Can. Bucolic, eh?
    New Year's: Unknown, with Dean.
  21. Did you fall in love in 2005? Yes. Quite so.
  22. How many one-night stands? None. Crazy, isn't it?
  23. What was your favorite TV program? Tough one. The best way to answer this question is Crossing Jordan, although I probably see others more regularly. The one I enjoy the most, though, is not a series: University of Michigan football. I saw every televised game this year.
  24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? Whew, yeah: the "slut" girl, for sure. I know it's immature, but I don't really care, do I, or I wouldn't have called her a slut in the first place, right?
    And Heather. :)
  25. What was the best book you read? Duh: The Brothers K
  26. What was your greatest musical discovery? That I really, really don't hate country music. At all.
  27. What did you want and get? More time with Dean.
  28. What did you want and not get? Reconciliation with a friend from Michigan.
  29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 35. I went to Nat's on Maple with D. and Shelly--had a beer and some incendiary jambalaya--and felt like maybe getting old isn't the worst thing ever.
    The next day was the Cubs game. And the fight. And...perhaps getting old isn't so bad, but behaving stupidly is...pretty bad.
  30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
    Having the means to slap the shit out of people who deserve it, without any annoying repercussions.
    [There was no other way to answer that: "satisfying" is one of those words that implies the tone of the response, I think.]
  31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2005?
    Workday: refugee from Kohl's & J.Jill.
    Home: ripped-to-shit Levi's & whatever's necessary to make them not vulgar while taking out the trash.
    "Out": I've become a slave to retro. I'm shooting for a sort of neo-Marilyn look, albeit slightly less platinum. Well, that or the shorter-than-hell plaid wool skirt thing that I've always favored. I don't know if it works for me as well as I think it does, but I like it.
  32. What kept you sane?
    Dean. D. Caffeine. Blogging & commenting. Visitation rights with the kitties. Reading. Looong drives at night. Writing in the journals. Beading. Lots of ice cream. r, Cat. Eric & Amy. The SWC guys, though they don't know it (ha ha). Poetry. Tig. My brother.
  33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? The Rock.
  34. What political issue stirred you the most? I'm shaken by politics, not stirred.
  35. Who did you miss? Can I keep playing this same song over and over, or will someone eventually tell me to shut up? Johnnie
  36. Who was the best new person you met? Well, not to diss every other new person I met, but...
    Heidi. Clearly!
  37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2005: "I'll always be there for you when you need me" is a lie. (See this post.)
  38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year: Maybe this is cheating, but Shawn Colvin's One Small Year has been on my mind lately:
    One small year
    It's been an eternity
    It's taken all of me to get here
    The hands of time
    They pushed my down the street
    They swept me of my feet to this place
    And I don't know my face
    Now all through the night I can pretend
    The morning will make me whole again
    Then everyday I can begin
    To wait for the night again
    One more tune
    That will never be done
    It's just another one for the moon
    For the days in the ruin
    Just today I woke up feeling fine
    Like the world was mine
    I was clean
    And it was a dream
    Where out of the blue came you and me
    The Wizard of Oz has set us free
    You let me float out to your feet
    Just like you believed in me
    It's like you believed
    One small year
    I wonder where I've gone
    It shouldn't seem so long or so weird
    And I was always here
    It's just one small year

wishes
(via Skindee)
  • You get one wish of anything, what would you ask for?
    A chance that this will last, indefinitely.
  • Wish for 6 more wishes:
    1. A raise. Big. And just 'cause I'm that kind of person, let's make it across the board.
    2. An offer of early retirement for my mother.
    3. A healthy baby for E & A.
    4. A relatively quick & painless adoption process for D & R.
    5. The usual blah blah blah re: Johnnie.
    6. Job satisfaction (and personal happiness) for Heidi in OK--or perhaps, if that's not happening, a return to IL?
  • What animal would you be?
    Well, I am an animal, but if I had to be a different one, I'd be...a coyote. Or a dog. Maybe a lab (golden).
  • Something you want to do in your life:
    Frivolous: Get a tattoo. My parents would freak, my boyfriend wouldn't be all that thrilled, and several of my friends just wouldn't get it. But I want one, so...I want one.
    Serious: Get a real job--one that both earns more than I owe and satisfies me in ways that the current one cannot.
  • One song you could listen to over and over again:
    "I Wish" by Semisonic. Really almost anything by them, but that one's probably the top of the heap. Well, that and "Temptation". And "Follow". And "One True Love". And....
  • Coke or Pepsi?
    Coke. Definitely. I'll drink Pepsi without complaint if it's the fountain in a bar, but I'll never choose it over Coke.
  • Something you currently desire:
    A few more days off before returning to that place. [shudder]
  • One good deed you've done lately:
    Uh, I was driving 35 mph over the speed limit for part of the trip back to IL today, so it's hard to think of anything altruistic I might've done in comparison to how dangerous and stupid I am. That being said, I suppose that parking my car in the neighboring business' lot this afternoon, rather than SWC's lot, was a "good deed." SWC was open for business after several days and so were terribly busy, and had I left my car in their lot, they'd have had to maneuver around it. Not exactly donating a kidney, but it's something, I guess.
  • A funny moment in your life:
    This is pretty tangential. One of my idiot cousins just named his son "T-e-l" (minus the hyphens, of course) ("of course", I write, as if the name itself makes any sense at all!). His sister, who recently spawned for the 4th time (with the 4th [putative] father!), named her daughter "H0llieAnna". No, I am not related to Cletus and Brandine.
I tag all of the usual suspects.

No comments:

Post a Comment