3.25.2010

in record time

    This week is a reminder of my status; I have what is known as a job, not a career. Though I generally behave as if it is the latter, it is beyond my magical abilities to make that true. I know that it is difficult to understand why I do this, when there are other options that might seem more remunerative or suitable for other reasons. I honestly like what I do, and more often than not, the people with whom I work are generally tolerable. (Some of them are, of course, fantastic. And some others deserve to die painfully.) Still, at times like this, I know that I cannot do this forever. As much as practicing law would have deadened my soul, this cannot be good for me either. Robert, r, Heidi...you all provide the example. I only need to follow.
    An example of law used as a weapon: "Prodigy, 13, claims age discrimination by UConn." Waaah: 13-y-o homeschooled brat might not graduate with 2 BS degrees in four years, because the school is reluctant to allow him to take a term abroad.
  1. Is the 4-year degree a contract between student and university? If not, shut it, kid.
  2. "'You have no idea what kids like this experience,' [his mother] said." I can guarantee that he's a social outcast and has no hope for a "normal" adolescence. Congratulations, mom: you made a freak.
  3. Schools are not machines. You don't plop in [uniform] raw materials, turn the crank, and after four years at 300° pull out of the oven one fully-formed "adult." There are variables. That's frustrating...and beautiful. Suck it up.
    Only one more item of interest to share: I'm no longer blond.

2 comments:

  1. I'm almost 60 and I still have a job. It can be done. I never quite did a career, and I'm certainly not going to do one now. Life's "meaning", if there is one, lies in many places.
    I hope you find a job/career situation that satisfies you.
    I heartily agree with your take on the kid at the university. My sympathy must go elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pressure and demands shape us just as surely as support and joy. Sounds like junior is getting more from one set and much less from the other. Imbalance is inevitable.

    ReplyDelete