10.16.2013

everything I learned I learned from the movies

The first of a repeating series: Movies I Cannot Help But Watch. I'm going to call them The SAMs: Subjective Awards for Movies, in honor of my most cinematically-erudite friend, Samantha. (Disclaimer: She will not agree with my choices for these awards, but I know that she will support my support of film in and of itself.) Now, for tonight's honorees:

  • SueƱo: It's about music, and connections, and making something of yourself. It's rough but not tough, and lovely and sweet without too much sweet, and I adore it along the same vein as Strictly Ballroom.

    AWARD: Best film with non-singer actors singing.

  • Cradle 2 the Grave: Jet Li is SO good looking. And this movie has something more than the average action film: a lot of heart. And it's funny, but not as silly as Lethal Weapon.

    AWARD: Best use of men's jewelry.

  • No Such Thing: I know, I'm always yapping about Hal Hartley--but it's only because he's freaking BRILLIANT. This is a monster movie, a love story, a scathing diatribe against media and modernity, a gorgeous travelogue, and a dark (dark dark dark) comedy. I hate to blink while I watch it because every second of film is so beautiful.

    AWARD: Best film shot in Iceland.
    AWARD: Best film featuring an amazing cast that you won't fathom until you've actually seen it. (tie)

  • True Romance: Written by Quentin Tarantino. Directed by Tony Scott. Starring Christian Slater (one of his best - really!) and Patricia Arquette, and featuring an absolutely mind-blowing array of supporting actors: Michael Rapaport, Bronson Pinchot, Saul Rubinek, Dennis Hopper, James Gandolfini, Gary Oldman (OMG terrific--I loved him in The Professional, but this is...{{splutter}}..., Christopher Walken, Chris Penn, Tom Sizemore, Brad Pitt, Val Kilmer, Samuel L. Jackson, and Conchata Ferrell.

    AWARD: Best film featuring an amazing cast that you won't fathom until you've actually seen it. (tie)
    AWARD: "is that actor really dead?"

  • The Royal Tenenbaums: I'm nearly in tears, thinking about how much I love this film. Luke Wilson is such a dear. Ben Stiller--typically more grating than sympathetic--is utterly genuine and adorable, and makes me want to cuddle with him. Even Gwyneth, who I'd happily punch down the stairs on an interpersonal level, plays her part flawlessly here. This is a terrific story, one that I can watch again and again.

    AWARD: Best film respectfully referencing a beloved children's book.

  • Mystic Pizza: Julia Roberts before she was famous. Is that enough?

    How about Vincent D'Onofrio as a bighearted but misogynistic Portuguese fisherman?

    AWARD: Best regional teenage awkwardness since The Lost Boys.

  • The Remains of the Day: Painfully. Understated. Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson at the top of their game.

    AWARD: Best acting in the form of eye contact avoidance.


What do you think? What do you love?

[props to bmg from Sledding with Rosebud - his original post prompted me to think about this. The title quotation is by Audrey Hepburn.]

3 comments:

  1. Adore this list, and thereby, adore you! The Remains of the Day is one of the most truly heart-breaking movies I have ever seen, and an absolute master class on acting. I had no idea you loved The Royal Tenenbaums. Seems that is yet another moment of synchronicity between us. One of the few DVDs I own! I love it's whimsical nature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, second try for attempting this comment:

    Remains of the Day is one of my favorite books, and I've been leery of seeing the movie in case it ruins the book for me.

    There are a couple of others on the list that I really ought to see, however. Time to start crawling through the catalogs and ILLing... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Remains of the Day is the one movie mentioned by each of the four people who have commented on this post!

    I like all of Wes Anderson's films, but The Royal Tenenbaums is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete