5.05.2014

sex is a doorway to something so powerful and mystical, but movies usually depict it in a completely flat way

My place of work was recently blessed with a donation of more than five hundred movies on DVD. Unlike the average gift that we receive, they were all in pristine condition, in their original packaging (also mint), and 98% were of a content considered appropriate to add to the collection. (The rest were deemed "too obscure"--which I consider a fault more of the existing collection than of the donation itself!)

It has fallen upon me to organize and impose order upon the chaos that has ensued since the gift was first made. (Indeed, that seems to be my primary role in that place.) In so doing, each of those 574 items has crossed my desk at least once.

Naturally, it's made me ponder movies...again. To what end? Oh, I'm wanting to watch, of course. There's no time, at the moment, and really it's not all that practically appealing, given how much I've been futzing with them in an 'official' sense. But I'm still adding to the list I started in this post and continued in this post: movies that I'd like to see, for some reason, some day. Many of them are obvious, some perplexing, and others downright bizarre. As always. [Apologies for any duplication from previous lists.]

The Big Sleep (the Bogart original
The Big Sleep (the Mitchum remake)
The Station Agent

Comments? Questions? Issues? Quirks?

[the title quotation is by David Lynch--and yeah, because it was David Lynch, I misread it as "sex in a doorway," which made it so, so, sooooooo much better]

2 comments:

  1. I believe I would like to reserve a couple of these as a "let's watch this" opportunity. The Station Agent is my first choice to watch again with you. It has been long enough that it would be like seeing it new. Dogma, Coffee and Cigarettes, and Trainspotting would all be acceptable options. I do own a copy of Dogma, so there's that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally see us setting aside a regular night for movie-sharing, reviewing, swapping, and making use of my Prime subscription. We just need to get the geographic issues ironed out!

      Delete