7.10.2020

I don't want money, and I don't want medals

So much drama lately! My kingdom for a comedy....

Beyond the Movie: Pearl Harbor
Beyond the Movie: Pearl Harbor
(2001) - "National Geographic Television looks for the real stories behind the film 'Pearl Harbor.' Interviews with cast, and producers Michael Bay and Jerry Bruckheimer, help to round out the story."
Source: the DVD was a gift
I watched it because: history of all kinds is interesting to me, and the Second World War in particular
IMDB: 4.6/10
Rotten Tomatoes: N/A%
story: this is a documentary that plays like an extended trailer to promote the film
visuals: clips from the movie, interspersed with film people (primarily the producer and director) discussing the making of the movie and about the attack itself. There are all interviews with men and women who were there that day.
I would recommend this to: anyone who has seen and liked Pearl Harbor, who likes "special features". It made me want to see the movie.

Clean and Sober
Clean and Sober
 (1988) - "A hustling drug addict checks himself into rehab to escape trouble with the law and realizes that it's exactly what he needs."
Source: I borrowed the DVD
I watched it because: the story intrigued me. A product of its 80s era but somehow timeless as well.  
IMDB: 6.7/10
Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 62% Audience: 62%
story: 6.5/10
visuals: 7/10
costumes, hair & makeup: 4/10
acting: 5/10
intangibles: 3/10
overall: 5.1/10
I would recommend this to: those in the program or with strong interest in the cast

Wake Island
Wake Island
 (1942) - "December, 1941. With no hope of relief or resupply, a small band of United States Marines tries to keep the Japanese Navy from capturing their island base."
Source: I borrowed the DVD from my parents' collection
I watched it because: it is a fascinating event in a time in history that rivets me
IMDB: 6.8/10
Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 86% Audience: 51%
story: 7.5/10--it wanders a bit
visuals: 8.5/10
costumes, hair & makeup: 6/10
acting: 8/10--standouts: Brian Donlevy (Maj. Geoffrey Caton) and Albert Dekker (Shad McCloskey)
intangibles: 8/10--very well done
overall: 7.6/10
I would recommend this to: those interested in history, particularly WWII in the Pacific

High Crimes
High Crimes
 (2002) - "High powered lawyer Claire Kubik finds her world turned upside down when her husband, who has been living under a false name, is arrested by military police and placed on trial for the murder of villagers while he was in the Marines."
Source: I borrowed the DVD from my parents' collection
I watched it because: anything that would not qualify as a "war movie" sounded pretty good
IMDB: 6.4/10
Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 31% Audience: 50%
story: 4/10--there is only one thing wrong with this story, and that is the entire basis of the story itself. There is NO way that someone as smart as this woman is supposed to be could not realize she had been living with, and married to, a Marine. A blind woman could see a Marine, from 50 paces. 
visuals: 7/10--pretty people...ya know
costumes, hair & makeup: 7/10
acting: 6/10--standout: Jim Caviezel (Tom Kubik)
intangibles: 5/10--"law movies" are hard to accept without extra scrutiny, even more than the history and war films
overall: 5.8/10
I would recommend this to: fans of the cast

[the title quotation is by 'Col. Jessup', from A Few Good Men]

No comments:

Post a Comment