7.11.2020

an infinite question is often destroyed by finite answers. To define everything is to annihilate much that gives us laughter and joy

from "250 conversation starters"
 
28. What is the strangest dream you have ever had?
my dreams are usually pretty weird! These four are among the highlights for my nocturnal oddity:
a) the ex-husband/forks/All Done dream - detailed in this previous post
b) the "good for eating" dream (via FB)
c) the friend's-cousin-bar-wedding dream - detailed in this previous post
d) the "proof of life" dream (via FB)
--to this I must add that the tank in which the goldfish were being farmed was large (probably 7' long and 3-4' wide) and metal, like those used to store propane in the back yard. It was not a fish tank.
29. What is a controversial opinion you have?
I do piss stupid people off
it's true--I do
I am all over the political map. Anyone who presumes my political opinions about any one issue could very well be wrong. I rarely talk politics at all, because it tends to piss people off. Not that I am not firm in my convictions or willing to go to the mat for what I believe; I just believe that some of those things can (sometimes) remain internal.
30. Who in your life brings you the most joy?
there are so many people who come to mind, and I would not want to leave anyone out! My joy may be the quiet and internal sort, but it is no less heartfelt than a big showy display. I promise.
31. Who had the biggest impact on the person you have become?
my dad, my ex-husband, and my college mentor
(by hook or by crook)
32. What is the most annoying habit someone can have?
asking a question and not listening to the answer. Just don't ask.
33. Where is the most beautiful place you have been?
Miami, maybe? My trip there
view from the "cabin"
represents what "beautiful" means, in some ways. Or the
weekend at the cabin on the grand bay? Still, my mind and heart are open to the many places I have never been. Prehaps Idaho or Delaware, Croatia or Thailand, Madagascar or Antarctica...
34. Where do you spend most of your free time/day?
probably not the right time to ask, eh. Under current conditions, I am home all the time. The good thing (?) is that I am using much more of my house now, regularly sitting in two rooms that were rarely used before. It keeps me from going too stir-crazy.
35. Who was your best friend in elementary school?
there was a girl named Kippi who I thought was pretty fun for a while, and a boy named Jason
36. How often do you stay up past 3 A.M.?
only when I am over-tired and cannot get to sleep. I am far too old to stay up that late - I would be feeling it for a week.
37. What's your favorite season? Why?
Autumn is the best. Summer seems long, with stuffy nights when it is hard to sleep and uncomfortable days bringing sunburns and bug bites. Autumn feels like a reprieve. Sweaters and socks, blankets for snuggling, walks in the sun without melting! Bliss.
38. Which is more important: having a great car, or a great house? Why?
I would rather have "a great house" than a great car, because I just do not drive that much anymore - and as indicated above, am home quite a lot. It is pure practicality to want my home to be as 'home' as possible. 
That being said, my car is pretty wonderful.  I am still glad that I got it (even as I watch the money flow from my bank account every month to pay for it)!
39. What animal or insect do you wish humans could eradicate? 
beetles. Anything with a hard shell that makes a crunching sound when it has to be eliminated from the household. Blerghhhh
40. Where is the most beautiful place near where you live?
the area where I live is blessed with natural beauty throughout the year. There are many things to see and do. One of my favorite spots to photograph is about 40 miles away from my house.
41. What do you bring with you wherever you go?
keys, phone, wallet
42. How much time do you spend on the internet? What do you usually do?
my whole life is on the internet one way or the other, it seems. Now and then I think about disconnecting, if only for a week or two. Maybe when I use my passport, right?
43. What is the most disgusting habit some people have?
a former coworker would regularly cut [their] toenails in public. It was gag-inducing.
44. Where and when was the most amazing sunset you have ever seen?
sky on fire, 06/19/20
I have seen some glorious sunsets. One of the places that I lived was a terrific spot to watch them settle over the Flat, though there were too many wires and buildings to photograph from up there. In my travels, I have seen sunsets over both oceans (or thereabouts) and in the north and south, and in all kinds of weather. 
This one, just a few weeks ago, really knocked me out.
45. Which recent news story is the most interesting?
I recently learned about 'reventropy'; theoretically, both shorter height and smaller body size promote slower aging and greater longevity (refuting the commonly held presumption about Randy Newman's song). For obvious reasons, this pleased me.
46. Where is the worst place you have been stuck for a long time?
I-90 westbound in the Flatland for about 6 hours - less than 2 hours from home
47. If you had to change your name, what would your new name be?
funny - I had a conversation with a college boyfriend yesterday during which we discussed the possibility of me legally changing back to my maiden name. It went far enough for me to seek advice from counsel about it. It would cost a bundle and be outrageously time consuming to iron out all the successive details - but I am still considering it.
 
[from here; the title quotation is by Madeleine L'Engle, from A Circle of Quiet]

No comments:

Post a Comment