7.24.2020

what is this, a freak out?

Well, I hit the tipping point. Too many movies piled up to review - and also too many other things that I wanted to write for the blog. Something had to give. It may seem silly, but this is the best way to keep track of what I have seen. After thinking over my options, I've decided (again) to change the review format. No numbers, just impressions and an overall Yea or Nay. Let's see how this version flies....

Ulzana's Raid
Ulzana's Raid
 (1972) - "After fierce war chief Ulzana and a small war party jump the reservation bent on murder and terror, an inexperienced young lieutenant is assigned to track him down."
Source: I borrowed the DVD from my parents' collection
I watched it because: it was the last of the 10-title "War Movies" set
IMDB: 7.1/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 90% Audience: 66%
notable quote: "I ain't about to argue with no Apache about horseshit, Lieutenant. He's the expert."
story: this was based on a true story, and is chilling. There is a great deal of realistic violence and gore.
visuals: no great feat of cinematography, there are moments of stark beauty that contrast with the subject matter
costumes, hair & makeup: not much change in the costuming and hair, but the makeup is surely complex
acting: some good, some not so great. The standout is Burt Lancaster as the wise old veteran, McIntosh
intangibles: why was this included in the "war movies" collection? It is more of an action/Western.
overall: recommended to fans of the genre and Lancaster's filmography

The Private Lives of Pippa Lee
The Private Lives of Pippa Lee
 (2009) - "After her much older husband forces a move to a suburban retirement community, Pippa Lee engages in a period of reflection and finds herself heading toward a quiet nervous breakdown."
Source: Amazon Prime
I watched it because: it has been recommended lately, and Keanu was on my mind
IMDB: 6.4/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 69% Audience: 50%
notable quote: "...just that you seem, you seem so bright."
story: odd, fascinating, irritating
visuals: well shot and lit
costumes, hair & makeup: they did a great job of showing the passage of time through clothing and hair (as well as music and decor)
acting: Robin Wright (Pippa Lee) and Zoe Kazan (Grace Lee) are awesome. And Keanu Reeves is just as good as anyone else would have been in his role (which is saying a lot, for him).
intangibles: I liked the offbeat and introspective nature of the movie
overall: recommended

The Next Three Days
The Next Three Days
 (2010) - "A married couple's life is turned upside down when the wife is accused of a murder."
Source: Amazon Prime
I watched it because: I have come to like Russell Crowe's work, and a law/suspense movie sounded like a nice change of pace
IMDB: 7.4/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 51% Audience: 66%
notable quote: "You want this too much. You're going to fuck it up."
story: dumb and unbelievable. Sedate English prof at a community college breaks his wife out of prison. (see GIF)
visuals: some cool effects, lots of tricks one might want to look up online if one were a little sneaky, and some surprisingly pretty people in prison looking pretty
costumes, hair & makeup: in my experience, no community college faculty or prison inmate has ever looked so rich and pristine
acting: under the limitations above, Russell Crowe was pretty good as the lead character, John Brennan
intangibles: I wanted to like it more, but the holes are just too deep to buy it whole-hog. Still entertaining enough to say that I enjoyed it for what it's worth.
overall: recommended
The Next Three Days is ridiculous

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
 (1971) - "A poor but hopeful boy seeks one of the five coveted golden tickets that will send him on a tour of Willy Wonka's mysterious chocolate factory."
Source: I borrowed the DVD from my parents' collection
I watched it because: oh my God - how could I not? This movie was a family favorite growing up
IMDB: 7.8/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 90% Audience: 87%
notable quote: "You can suck them and suck them and suck them and they'll never get any smaller. Never!" 
story: big, silly, and wonderful. I was amazed to realize how much (both music and dialog) I recalled, though it has been years since last I saw it
visuals: inventive, colorful, funny. The best thing about this movie is that it is fine for kids, good for adults too, and is not subversively good for adults (subtly making fun of kids). 
costumes, hair & makeup: fantastic
acting: Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka is a classic of cinema
intangibles: just the thing after a hard day's work
Academy Award nominee: Best Music, Scoring Adaptation and Original Song Score
overall: highly recommended!

Top Hat
Top Hat
 (1935) - "An American dancer comes to Britain and falls for a model whom he initially annoyed, but she mistakes him for his goofy producer."
Source: I borrowed the DVD from my parents' collection
I watched it because: dance movies are usually fun, and I am still trying to see more from the AFI lists
IMDB: 7.7/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 100% Audience: 91%
AFI: 25 Greatest Movie Musicals #15
notable quote: "I hate men! I hate you! I hate all men!"
story: clever and racy! Boy meets girl under unique circumstances. Through no fault of her own, girl believes boy is someone else. Hijinks ensue. 
visuals: terrific dance and some well-lit scenes
costumes, hair & makeup: marvelous costumes. Those really were some good old days!
acting: Fred Astaire (Jerry Travers) makes it look effortless. Ginger Rogers (Dale Tremont) is impossibly elegant. And Erik Rhodes (Alberto Beddini) is both suave and hilarious.
intangibles: the dance number in the gazebo makes the whole movie worthwhile. I really liked this one!
Academy Award nominee:
• Best Picture
• Best Art Direction
• Best Dance Direction
• Best Music, Original Song ("Cheek to Cheek")
overall: highly recommended!

[the title quotation is from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory]

No comments:

Post a Comment